1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

has anyone else done this or is it just me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by s_mcsleazy, Apr 17, 2010.

1. so yesterday i brought a epiphone valve junior head and a small 1x10 marshall guitar cab but i wanted to see what it sounded like with my 1x15 ashdown bass cab

BLOODY HELL did it sound good

so i was wondering any one else tryed this or is it just me

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Personally, I know 2 persons that have a similar setup, but with a 1x15.

Very nice sound, but not really giggable, more for home recording and practicing, also maybe rather quiet bands.

3. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    i was also thinking about getting an epiphone valve jr. head for home use (maybe with some mods). so thanks for that comment! :)

4. so far im in love with the thing and mine hasnt been modded

5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    One dude I know has his modded, I don't know in which way though; only thing I know is that he built a custom case for the head (he had the combo version).

I'm inclined to buy one of those as well, just need a cab and I'm kinda low on cash right now...

6. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Absolutely.

My son has an Epi Valve Jr. and I have been known to borrow it to plug into my Peavey 15" cab. :ninja:

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I love the looks of the valve junior, that's for sure!!

Do you have any sound clips yet?

8. i just think with my p-bass it really brings out the low mids

9. nope not yet

havent had much time to myself due to my gf moving in and work but next time ive got a afternoon to myself ill do a video demo for you people... because i love ya (not in the way of the greeks of old)

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I ran my drummers valve jr though my 8x10 for a livingroom practice once. We were working out stuff for an acoustic gig but I only had my fretless. It was kind of funny having that little tiny head up there on the cab but it sounded pretty nice. Afterward we cranked it. Sounded pretty grindy.

11. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I once split my signal into my bass amp and a 412 Marshall half stack set to distortion.

Sounded sick!

12. +1

splitting signal to guitar and bass cab = win

13. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Yup, I messed around with bass distortion for a bit before trying that out, and no matter what I always missed the sound of clean bass too.

Splitting allowed me to keep my clean bass signal and retain all the low end while the guitar cab gave me some killer distortion and the highs I wanted.

Worked perfectly.

14. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    How loud will it be? I was running my 15w Peavey practice amp through my big 15" cab and it was enough volume to practice at home, but not loud enough to make my windows rattle. ;)
    So I'm wondering how much an 5w (tube) amp will pump out...

15. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Eh, if you want loud this is not the ticket. Probaby about the same volume as what you have with your 15 watt rig.

The point of the Epi head is simply a low-buck tube rig with gobs of tube-ey grind and breakup at not too much more than a "conversational" volume. But the tube tone is there.

Think more along the lines of a great bang-for-the-buck tool for home recording.

If you shop around you can get a used Epi valve Jr. head for the price of a pedal. :bassist: