Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

has anyone else experienced this?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rekesbass, Jul 14, 2001.

1. this past wed. I sat in with a friends band using my K&K rockabilly special(w\two channel pre-amp) equipped urb and my amp...while the sound was great I still could not get the volume(w\o feedback)needed to be heard(the amp was behind me)..that is until my amps power cord(for some strange reason)kept coming loose and killing the power,so I plugged directly into the p.a..low and behold!! no more feedback and tons of volume.the p.a speakers were on tables out in front of us and a little volume coming from the moniters(and I could hear myself better than with my amp) and the sound was KILLER.my question is..could it be speaker placement? would it be better to kick my 2x10 back like a moniter and face towards us or maybe from the side(like side fill moniters)to avoid feedback.can anyone shed some light on this strange but wonderful phenomenon(sp?)or should I just leave the amp home and let the p.a do all the work..thanx in advance.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Dunno if you bought the K&K pu from me -- in the supplementary comments I include with those I sell, several address fighting the feedback monster.

You'll find comments about placement, including using a small monitor (or side fill, since my ears are on the sides of my head <g>) and getting the speakers in front of the bass for best results. Front of house PA is the best way to deliver your sound as long as you have some sort of monitoring system -- anything from a HotSpot type monitor on a stand, your amp from the side, etc...

3. yes Bob,I did buy the p\u from you and my ears are also on the sides of my head :) thank you for your response..it makes sense to me now..I'll try the sidefill approach or putting the cab on the floor kicked back like a wedge next time..should I get the cab as far away as possible??also what about taping over my f holes would this help?

4. BTW...I'm the guy who posted the ? about the mag p\u on harmony central...thanx again

5. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Yes, getting the amp further away and also higher (one of those tilt-amp stands, for instance, that decouples it from the floor and aims it higher than the bass body) can help. Consider that the bass itself becomes sort of a microphone with the addition of a pickup, and think of it like the way you'd avoid feedback by aiming a speaker at a mic.

You may get some improvement by blocking the f-holes. Also that tip about sticking a small Nerf football between the tailpiece and body works, but I'd only do so if you need it since it dampens sustain.

Before I'd do that, I'd cut some of the low end response of your amp/monitor - it will be less satisfying on stage, but monitors are to help you hear and keep your pitch, and by reducing the feedback-producing lows you will likely not have to resort to taping over f-holes and other radical steps. Besides, you'll probably get plenty of the real lows to fill out the sound from the PA signal throwing out those frequencies, which are omnidirectional and will be bouncing all around the room.

6. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    "and think of it like the way you'd avoid feedback by aiming a speaker at a mic."

really meant:
    "and think of it like the way you'd avoid feedback by NOT aiming a speaker at a mic."

7. thank you oh " king of all upright bass gurus" I'm gonna try it right now....I'm so excited!!!...as far as the nerf idea, sustain damping is not too much a problem with rockabilly players..in fact I'm lookin for a more gut like sound and I never heard this tip before..again I can't thank you enough for all of your input on this subject..now I must go try this...later