Has anyone else played a Rob Allen 4 or 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I played several Rob Allen fretlesses about 4 weeks ago in Toronto and they looked and sounded MARVELOUS!!! Not priced too bad, very lightweight, and SWEET sounding.

If I had to do it over again, I would have definitely waited an extra several, more like 6 months and bought the Rob Allen, instead of getting a Musicman Stingray 5 which I have no gripes about at all. It's just not as nice a piece, but then again, it doesn't cost $2000 either!!

Anyone one else played a Rob Allen recently? If so, what's your thoughts, especially about the nylon strings they use versus flats, half rounds, or roundwounds for a fretless?

2. hey larry try to do a search on rob allen, they have been sort of a hot topic the last couple of weeks
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Don't own, but I've tried. The Rob Allen is probably one of the most beautiful instruments I've seen; certainly, it's the best looking bass guitar I've seen. Each instrument retains a hand-made feel. The tone is very acoustic and very warm sounding for a piezo-only instrument, but it's still brighter, "stringier" and more focused than that of an upright. I'd hate to put anything other than the nylons on it.

Gripes? Not much acoustic volume, but if you visit Bunnybass, you'll see why. The acoustic chambers routed into the body are pretty small; it's a solid-body instrument at heart. Also, as some members have told me in another thread, some stores are selling these *above* list. What kind of precedent is this setting?
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played a couple in the last year or two. I've gotta say that it's an incredibly comfortable bass with possibly the closest thing around to an upright sound! I LOVE the feel and would LOVE to buy one! If I weren't saving up for the honeymoon, then I might just do that!;)

I can't believe some stores are actually trying to get away with selling over list! But, then again, it's not unheard of. I haven't heard of it too much in the bass guitar world, but I remember that when the Dodge Viper first came out, dealers were collecting a premium to sell them, too! And, they went like hotcakes in Chicago! But, the funny thing is, demand fell. What happens when demand falls? Prices drop!
  5. I have had a Rob Allen for the past year and a half. I have one of the early ones, number 48, and I like it very much.

It plays better than any other bass I have ever played. I have had problems with the sound though. The piezo sound does NOT work well at high volumes. It was not built for it. The bass requires a very clean full range amp with a LOT of headroom to work. It works better direct through the PA.

Eventually, I added some Jazz pups to the bass. This gives a wonderful sound through a standard bass amp, and has enhanced the functionality of the bass considerably, even if it have violated it's originaliity. Suits my needs.

The stock Labella strings are the best on the bass. I have triied TI jazz flats, and a few brans of rounds, and the LaBellas come up best evvery time.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Andy -

I recall that you've been asked this before, but do you have pictures of your modified Rob Allen?
  7. Yes, you did. sorry. No, I don't. I'll get round to taking some and posting them.
  8. wow andy i can't believe you did that with the jazz pickups. just wondering, there are certain basses that are known for having "their tone". i would think like the RIC, the Warwick, and the Stingray a Rob Allen would be one of them. just a view but i think if i had such a low serial number i would leave it as is and have a different bass for other options.
    i almost seems like buying the Mona Lisa and painting her eyes blue because you like blue better.
    like RAM asked i would love to see some pics.