Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone ever built a bass with a Moses graphite neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tekhna, Apr 20, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
  2. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I recently built a Thunderbird shaped bass with a Moses five string neck. See the Thunderbird shape thread. I'll refrain from posting a URL again here. With a 34" scale it has undoubtably the best B string I've ever plucked. The neck used to be mine. I bought it off Ebay from a guy who never installed it. The tuner holes weren't even drilled and the threaded inserts for the neck screws weren't installed either. I had the neck for a couple of years and never did anything with it, then sold it to a local player. He sat on it for about a year and a half and when he found out I was building he asked me to build his bass with that neck. The neck is an older narrow five string and has a small radius fingerboard, which is why I never used it, but the bass turned out great and he's a satisfied customer and loves it.

Waiting for the orange bass thread. :rolleyes:

3. Bought one today and have a design waiting to go...

4. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Awesome-That just seems like a really really good price for a moses neck.

5. No, it's a stupid good price. It won't be there long. I figured it was going to be gone so quick that it qualified for the "I don't have to get permission for this one" exemption. :D

6. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Although after reading some of the Moses reviews I am pretty scared to order one.. There are A LOT of really negative comments on them out there.

7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I've got a Status bass with a Jazz bass graphite neck and while the finished state of the Moses neck isn't anywhere near the quality of the Status neck I wouldn't call it bad or have anything overly negative to say about it.

8. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Man If I only had some spare money, Id buy one too. Thats really good price.

9. I read what's been brought up on TB about the Moses. I don't think there's much to worry over. Most of the complaints are over erratic customer service and small production details with the whole composite process that people don't understand upfront and are surprised to see for the first time. Also, these necks aren't just a bolt and go like a simple All-Parts piece. They are going to require some "going over" to check out and prep before installation.

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    $199 for a Moses graphite neck? :eek:

If only they had some 6ers, too :(

11. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720 Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    My first graphite neck bass experience was with Modulus.They used to make Jazz bass and P-bass replacement necks.These necks were flawless both asthetically and sonically.After they stopped making them I was forced to try something else.Moses necks are not as pretty as the early Modulus necks but they sound just as good and they have a truss rod for fine tuning. All my Jazz and P-basses have graphite necks(2 Modulus,3Moses) I love them and have found the Moses necks to be very good.Poke around on E-bay to find good deals.The last Moses neck I bought I got for only $150.00! it was missing the nut blank and the heel mounting kit which I got from Moses for $8.00.Let me stop rambling and just say bottom line Moses necks get the job done nicely.

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Brian Bromberg has used them for years...

13. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    no longer availiable :O(

Now I found it..t

14. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    They still have 5-strings though (at least at posting time)

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i bought my moses used (but in mint condition) for $200USD. Good deal no?

This one had a question mark following the contour of the fender style headstock. Sort of like a pearl inlay but not. Any idea what model i have?