1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone ever compared a Fender Musicmaster and Squier Bronco?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pilgrim, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

In surfing Ebay auctions, it's pretty clear that the Musicmaster bass was the Bronco of the 70's. Same 2-saddle bridge, same Strat pickup, etc.

But you will put out $300-$1500 for a Musicmaster, and less than $150 for a Bronco.

Has anyone owned both and played them side-by-side? I'm just curious about what difference there might be from the viewpoint of one who has tried this. :cool:

2. melarson

melarson

Feb 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am also curious about this.

3. My first bass was a musicmaster, got a soft spot in my heart for those but don't think I'd ever want one. Seems kind of "toyish".

4. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    It was my first as well. After being dissatisfied with the sound, I opted for an EMG select P and it improved the sound, but not that great. I also have the same toyish feelings.

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
  6. Canterbury

Canterbury

Jul 24, 2009
    The Squier Musicmaster is a sweet little bass. I regret selling mine.

7. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I have played both but owned neither, but I would say probably the main differences would be fit and finish, build quality, playability, balance, and sound.

8. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The Bronco felt really really cheap and sounded super-tinny. The MM felt and sounded more like the new Mustangs.

9. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I've played a few music masters... they seemed real solid, funky and rather heavy for the size. It makes the mustang ri seem like a toy

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    While I've never spent any time with the Squier Musicmasters, I have played a few Broncos and own a '78 Musicmaster... Biggest differences...

MM - 2 or 3 piece ash or alder body
    MM - Maple neck with rosewood board (cap instead of slab... Makes a difference to some folks) adjusts at the body. Excellent finish, fretwork and feel
    MM - Open geared, Fender/Schaller tuners with large post

SB - basswood or agathis
    SB - Softer maple neck and board. Satin finish, not for everybody (but then again, what is?) adjusts at headstock
    SB - Small closed tuners, small post... They get the job done

Both sport a single-coil guitar pickup, 'spartan' bridge and basic volume and tone controls... My '78 is far and away a better bass than any Bronco that I have come across, but then, I would expect it to be...

I got my current bass in early '03 before they started spiking in price. That being said, I had a '78 back in '80 that I paid $165 for... Hated it at the time, and like others, only really appreciated it when I no longer had it (stolen in '84)... I'll never part with my current '78...

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Bronco at today's rates... The ones that I've played (there used to be two in a local music store, as well as one I played for a bit when I tried out an amp from CL) were workable... Yeah, they felt quite a bit 'cheaper' than my '78, but that's part of the charm IMO... With decent strings and a setup, any of them would gig proudly... I'd do some slight electronics changes (pots, cap, jack), maybe a pickup swap, but then again maybe not! There are some great mods in this thread... Now that it seems like I'm relegated to 'shorties' for the near future, I wouldn't be surprised if a Bronco isn't in the cards!!

-robert

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020