1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone ever cut the body too low below the fretboard?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Arnie, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    I think I may have notched my body a little too low under the fretboard, won't know for sure until I get my nut on and align my bridge for a dry run.

So I could see having to raise my bridge anywhere (If I am correct) from 1/8" to 1/4" has anyone had to deal with this and how did you cure it?

I was hoping for my drill press planer to arrive and it was back ordered so I started aggressively sanding it with my orbital sander. I think I removed too much material.

Just so you know it is a neck thru so I can sand the heal of the neck.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    are the body wings already attached? if so, there are many ways to remedy this. 1 is to make a bridge lift out of matching wood or thin sheets of brass or aluminum. Available from Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards. this is what I have seen people do. I try to never go more than 3/16 below the level of the fretboard on a straight through neck as to keep as close to the minimal height of the bridge used as possible. Of course which bridge is a big concern also, as some bridges are taller than others, so this is an added variance you must consider when figuring.

3. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Yeah Wings are on, and it is three parts two body wings and neck thru center. I purchased a Carvin bridge but could use another bridge if there is a more suitable replacement.

Bridge is black, so a think piece of black colored material might get me close.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Get a piece of brass and cut it to the shape of the bridge and call it a tone plate. Charge an extra $250.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass

:D You are killing me! :hyper:

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Test the bridge for height at minimum and maximum to see itf you are still within range. If so, leave it, and continue on, if not start with a wood build up to see how much lift you need, then you can make it to the size you need be it wood or metal. Cut to size of the bridge, and continue on with your build.

I would chuckle and avoid Mikeys quip on this one...LOL. Although I know many builders that would follow that idea...LOL