1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anyone ever had a major problem with their GK 1001RB II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RayO5421, Aug 23, 2007.

1. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Hello all,
    I'm buying a head for my first rig and am really considering the GK 1001RB II. The tone is very nice, a real cool growl that I'd be happy with for only $600 (rmcaudio). It seems to be a popular head here on talkbass and other places. I'd be running it through a 4ohm Avatar 410. I'll also have it in a road case with a power conditioner. Down the road I might use it with an 810 but that won't be for a while.

Is there anything I should look out for before buying? The only problem I could see with it is the cooling vent is on the top but I'd just have any empty rackspace above it. Anything else? I want something thats not going to fry itself within a year, I don't know if I can afford to replace it anytime soon so relability is very important to me.

If you've got something else that would be a better choice please tell me, I'd like atleast 500W and a nice growl/tube sound.

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005

3. I love mine. I have had zero problems with my head (I have the exact head you're thinking of getting), but I've had some problems with the cabs. I think you'll be fine with the avatar 410. Just make sure the power rating is compatible if you're using a 4ohm cab, b/c the head puts out 700 watts at 4 ohms.
    I have mine in a rack, and believe it or not, it doesn't get hot. I know, I know... I should leave room at the top of the rack... blah blah.... YMMV, but I haven't had a problem with mine. I don't use a power conditioner either, but I do usually plug it into a power strip w/ surge protect.

4. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I'm sure someone somewhere in the world has had a major problem with this head but in general it is considered very reliable. And from what i've heard if you do have a problem gk will take care of you. If you like the sound get it, reliability is a non-issue with the 1001RB-II. At least thats how I see it.

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    GK's are as reliable as anything out there, more reliable than most. You can have a problem with any piece of gear, but the odds are certainly in your favor when you roll with GK. Sort of piece of mind like owning a Honda or Toyota.

JR

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The fan on the top shouldn't pose any problems depending on what you want to place above it. When I had my 700RB in a 4 space SKB rack I put the amp on the bottom with my Korg DTR-1 above it and then my SL Waber power strip above that. I had plenty of clearance for the fan.

7. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    great amp man.. the 1001RBmk2 has got massive bang for buck, a great feature set, great CS, good tone etc etc... if it wasn't for that bloody fan on top it would be an almost perfect product. I have spoken to GK about the fan and suggested some mods but apparently the fan on top helps keep the price low. I say grab it and love it.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    GK1001 RB II and an Avatar 410 ? That oughtta be a sweet reliable rig. In the 'for what it's worth department - my GK took a dive off a hand truck, from the top of 2 2x10's onto concrete side walk. It was loaded in an SKb roto rack. No problems. It fired right up and never gave me a moments worry. So basically - kwitcher worryin', git out yer plastic and get that rig ordered up. Don't forget to order a decent speaker cable.

9. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    I owned and gigged a GK 1001 RB MK II for closed to 2 years. not a single problem.

Headroom, EQ, reliability, and great sound. If you like the way it sounds, buy it. You will not be sorry.

10. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I had a problem with mine. I was really into going to going to stores and playing amps and looking at them online and lamenting my rig at the time. Now that I have the GK, I don't get to do any of those things because the GK does everything I need it to and more. I miss my GAS for amps, and the GK is to blame.

11. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    I acctually hate shopping for amps. I want to get one now and be done for a while. Later, an 810 and then mabey an Orange tube head. After I'm done with the rock stuff, then I'll be getting an SWR Blonde Upright/acoustic amp.

The GK is sounding good to me anyone else have anything to say?

12. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Yes.

Reach for your wallet. :D

[​IMG]

13. Its one hell of an amp, I did a lot of research before I purchased mine, it sounds great and I doubt I'll ever need to buy another amp.

14. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    yeah they rock.. prob my second favorite amp after the LMII..

15. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    i gigged my GK1001 for a good year or so and never had a problem either.

16. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I bought mine almost two years ago after it had been on a European tour with an endorsing artist for a month ...
    It's still going strong, never had a problem with it!

It's Loud, Reliable, Light and very versatile etc. I will choose this amp before my Ampeg SVT-CL when the time comes to downsize my rigs!