Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone ever had a phobia successfully treated?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tifa, Jun 17, 2005.

1. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Right, I need some advice :)

I have an intense (I mean intense) phobia that, quite honestly, is ruining my life. :( Um, I'd rather not say what of as I'm embarrassed to talk about it and even say the word. Its a specific phobia of a type of insect, thats as much as I'm comfortable saying for now.

I've had it for as long as I can remember and just assumed it would go away, however it gets worse every year. I'm at the stage now where I don't want to go outside at night (oh, thats a hint!). The sight of one creates an intense panic reaction and I act very irrationally and remain 'freaked out' for hours or even days if I see one. I go out of my way to avoid every possibility of contact.

Ok, this isnt about my phobia as such. I'm basically at the end of my tether and I need help so badly.

Has anyone had experience with phobia therapy, and did they work? the methods I have seen mention of are:

-hypnotherapy
    -NLP (neuro-linguistic programming)
    -Cognitive behavioural therapy

Has anyone experienced these or any other techniques? I'd love to hear from people who have got rid of a phobia. It feels like no one will ever be able to break this :( and I feel such an idiot about it. If I had reassurance it would help me a lot.

Here's hoping. Thanks for reading the essay :D

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    is it a spider?

i hate spiders. i wake up in the middle of the night because i had a nightmare about spiders in my bed... so i hve to turn on the light and check. or go sleep on the couch.

3. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    No it's not spiders! :)

I don't mind them so much. I'm not terribly fond of them, mind.....

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  5. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    nope :)

Id rather not say what it is in case people post pics :(

but you're closer.

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I know this doesn't work for everybody, but the best luck I've had is to actually confront my fears. For example: I HATE heights. I used to even freak out on ladders, but I'm married to someone who likes to skydive :meh: So, I had to take some baby steps to help over come the fear - climbing ladders, going to the top of some observation towers in a local state part, etc. I know those seem little, but for me it was huge. I won't be jumping out of any planes any time soon, but I'm getting better.

So, for me the only way to get over fears is to face them head on, so to speak.

7. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Facing your fears is definately a good way to overcome them.

Genocide is another.

Are these insects actually harmful? If not, you could eventually get use to them through, gulp, physical contact.

Seeing a psychiatrist about it would be helpful too. Or, check in the library about overcoming phobias. Lots of people have them. I'm not so sure you actually need to overcome them - but to just live with them. For example, lots of people are scared of rats. But when the phobia takes control of you and your unable to function because of it, then it's disruptive. But, if you can just live with the fear of rats, and not let the fear control you, then you're "functioning normal".

8. Turbo

Turbo

Mar 17, 2004
    Illinois
    Lightning Bugs?

9. I used to have a real problem w/ saliva. After a while, I felt like I was getting over it. Then I proved it to myself by having a friend spit in the sink, and then I stuck my finger in it.

Damn, what an exciting life......

10. Not so sure about confronting fears, only try it on your own if you're not REALLY freaked about it.

I'm a little scared of being in deep water. More specifically drowning, mainly cause I can't swim very well or very long. I took up scuba diving, I'm way more comfortable in the water. Still can't swim very good.

But if I was terrified of water I probably would have panicked a couple of times when I had difficulties and it would have ended badly.

Basically I wasn't to the point of having a "phobia", and I suspect the skydiver's spouse who was afraid of heights wasn't either.

There's ways therapists have to gradually ease you into say, a tankful of rats if you were rat phobic, so that it becomes a pleasureable experience. But if you were to just jump into a tankful of rats on your own, it might be stressful. Something like that.

People try to learn to rollerblade on their own. You've seen them, no balance, no stopping, no pads, no helmet, wrists in a cast, face bloody? It would be a lot easier to learn if they'd swallow their pride and take a lesson or 2.

No reason you should try to learn to overcome your phobia on your own either. Swallow your pride and check the yellow pages for therapists. Take some phobia lessons.

Randy

11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Is it moths? And we wouldn't post pics, we're not THAT mean :)

12. If it is a butterfly... buy a Fedora Monarch?

I hope you overcome it/become cured

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was going to post a picture, but I stopped myself: Bees?

I'm scared of people (mostly crowds), but I see pictures of them all the time.

14. I used to be deathly afraid of Roaches, and Im a guy! Its not so bad now, but its still sorta there. I will not pick them up. Ill kill em, but will not pick up the body and throw it away, someone else has too!

Living in Mississippi , that kinda fear is terrible , cause here , our Roaches are ten times bigger than any where else, other than like.........Madagascar or somewhere. A certain TBer has an avatar that I hate.

15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm a lil bee phobic. But I don't see em around too much at night. But damn I hate em.

Best of luck. I wouldn't think hypnosis would work.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    They're the most mosquito like bug I can think of... well, there is another one that's closer...

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Tifa, I'm no physiologist, so I'm not even going to try to help you work it out, but don't confront it alone. Get someone who can help you, prefer someone a little older and more mature. Hope things work out for you!

18. No need to be afraid. Just pick them off the pizza or spit them out. :spit:

Randy