1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anyone ever had a problem with Zon input jacks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zephir2004, May 25, 2004.

1. zephir2004

zephir2004

Mar 8, 2004
    Has anyone ever had a problem with Zon input jacks? I have a great custom Zon Sonus 4 string. When I bought it, it was perfect. About 1 year after though I started experiencing problems with my input jack. It starts to cause a crackling and sometimes completely cuts out on me until I jiggle the cord. Actually some cables won't even work at all. I'm wondering if this is a Zon specific thing or maybe even coming from the electronics. I've replaced the jack twice now and I still get the problem. Has anyone had this problem? My tech guy says the problem is Gremlins, but I think otherwise.

Thanks,
    Steve K
    Woodfish

2. I have a Zon Sonus 4/2 and have had to replace the output (1/4") jack. It crackled and did cut out sometimes. I talked with Joe about it and also another of the guys up at Zon and they sent me a replacement. I haven't had a problem since though.

I have heard this complaint previously.

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Does Zon use the 1/2" dia. barrel type 1/4" Jack?
    The only output jack I've ever continuosly replaced in basses or guitars have been the 1/2" dia. barrel type 1/4" Jack. G&L and Warwick use them and I've had several Warmoth bass bodies built for me that used that type jack. I now use the 7/8" dia. Electrosocket type. I rarely see guitars or basses in for repair with a standard 1/4" jack (use metal mtg plate or electrosocket for mounting).

4. I never have had this problem with Zon's specificly, but from time to time with any bass, I'm sure you're going to have a bad jack in the bunch. I have had a few high end basses jacks go out on me. You just replace it and put an end to the problem. The good builders will cover the part themselves. I don't think it reflects the quality of parts or the builder of the bass, it's probobly more a fluke than anything else.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    mine's a '95 sonus special...no problems since i've had it, and it's been USED as it's been my workhorse...

6. I believe mine was the barrel type 1/4" jack.