Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone ever had a problem with Zon input jacks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zephir2004, May 25, 2004.

1. zephir2004

zephir2004

Mar 8, 2004
    Has anyone ever had a problem with Zon input jacks? I have a great custom Zon Sonus 4 string. When I bought it, it was perfect. About 1 year after though I started experiencing problems with my input jack. It starts to cause a crackling and sometimes completely cuts out on me until I jiggle the cord. Actually some cables won't even work at all. I'm wondering if this is a Zon specific thing or maybe even coming from the electronics. I've replaced the jack twice now and I still get the problem. Has anyone had this problem? My tech guy says the problem is Gremlins, but I think otherwise.

Thanks,
    Steve K
    Woodfish

2. I have a Zon Sonus 4/2 and have had to replace the output (1/4") jack. It crackled and did cut out sometimes. I talked with Joe about it and also another of the guys up at Zon and they sent me a replacement. I haven't had a problem since though.

I have heard this complaint previously.

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Does Zon use the 1/2" dia. barrel type 1/4" Jack?
    The only output jack I've ever continuosly replaced in basses or guitars have been the 1/2" dia. barrel type 1/4" Jack. G&L and Warwick use them and I've had several Warmoth bass bodies built for me that used that type jack. I now use the 7/8" dia. Electrosocket type. I rarely see guitars or basses in for repair with a standard 1/4" jack (use metal mtg plate or electrosocket for mounting).

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I never have had this problem with Zon's specificly, but from time to time with any bass, I'm sure you're going to have a bad jack in the bunch. I have had a few high end basses jacks go out on me. You just replace it and put an end to the problem. The good builders will cover the part themselves. I don't think it reflects the quality of parts or the builder of the bass, it's probobly more a fluke than anything else.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    mine's a '95 sonus special...no problems since i've had it, and it's been USED as it's been my workhorse...

6. I believe mine was the barrel type 1/4" jack.