Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone ever made their own bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomthedude, Jul 4, 2004.

1. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    Has anyone ever made their own bass? :help: If so could you please give me some basic tips, because I was considering making it in tech class, but if not my garage is also fine. I would like to make a semi-acoustic electric bass.

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=116&CollectionID=12 :bassist:

Like that...

Any tips or suggestions would be great,

Cheers
    Tom

2. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    a hollowbody bass will be much (MUCH!) harder to build, especially an archtop like that one. If this is going to be the first bass you build (especially the first experience with working wood), you should start with a solid body. Hollowbody guitars require you to bend the wood with a delicate process where lots a sh!t can go wrong. It will also be harder to put the instrument together and be stable; The strings could easily pull the bass right apart.

3. Welcome to TalkBass

There are at least two dozen players here that have built their own. There are no less than a dozen small builders that would be considered serious hobbyists here on TB. I would guess that between the small pro builders like FBB Customs, JP Basses, or Lex Luthier and the large Pro's like Ken Smith, Roger Sadowsky, and Carey Nordstram (all contributors) you could account for another dozen or so faces.

So to answer your question...Read the archives, read the forums marked "Luthiers" and "Setup". You would have already been knee deep in woodchips if you had used the search function.

Hope this helps ;)