has anyone ever met a black bassist who sucked?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Oct 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I saw this band the other night and it dawned on me. Every black bass player I have ever seen kicks ass. I have never seen a lame black bassist or one that wasn't totally funky and wild on the bass. And as for the jazz bassits....geez. I just thought this was a keen observation. Anyone know why this is???
  2. Well, there must be at least one here in San Francisco.
    I can ask around for you.

Are you looking for a quicky, or a long term relationship?
  3. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    has anyone ever met a black bassist who sucked?
  4. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Well I would have to say that there are better web sites for those inclined to make generalizations regarding race. But if I had to say… it's because black people are cooler.

5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Michaeln, I wasn't refering to sucking in a homosexual context. I apologize if you are in a homosexual mindset regularly, as it apprears you are, but I meant sucked as in terrible. You must have penis on your mind brother.
  6. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    generalizations help us gain a better understanding of the world in which we live.
  7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I can't believe this....I guess we havn't come *that* far since the 60's....

wait I got one:

anyone ever met a black bassist who didn't like chicken? or one that couldn't dance?

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

no, generalizations help us FOOL OURSELVES into thinking that we can tell certain things about an individual by completely unrelated criteria, like the color of their skin.

generalizations help us to STAY IGNORANT and to PERPETUATE PREJUDICE.

9. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    so its ok to have a thread making GENERALIZATIONS about guitarists, drummers, singers, bassits, club owners, etc., but not about skin color. SCREW THIS POLITICALLY CORRECT B.S. society we live in.
  10. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    plus I find it intersting...I was complimenting black bassists. I guess I can't use the word black without some liberal jumping on my back.
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey JWC,

I thought it was kind of funny. :)

We're entering into a very tough subject here ladies and gentlemen. It's very clear to see that the stereotype has been created that all African-Americans are highly rhythmic and musically inclined. I will step out on a limb and state that, yes, sometimes broad generalizations can have some levels of accuracy for a majority of the group the generalization is referring to, I think it is more important to understand that people are still individuals. I've met bassists of varying races, ethnicities, gender, sexual orientation, and background, but I would hesitate that to say that one particular group was better or worse on a consistent basis.

I'm sure in your email JWC, that you were wishing to pay a compliment to the talents of the African-American bassists that you have heard or seen in your life, but I think that you can agree that someone having ancestry from the continent of Africa, and being a bass player, does not automatically make them good. There are way too many factors that go into the development of a bass player. I would agree that culture is a factor in one's musicianship. We could debate all night how large of a factor your culture is in your bass playing. I also think it's important to emphasize, that if you have had excellent opportunities with African-American bassists before, that there is not some intrinsic "gene" or "biological makeup" of that individual that helps or hinders their ability to play a particular instrument. If there is anything, it must be cultural factors that are common in a portion of African-American's lives. And, just to be clear, I think that those factors are just one part of that musician's experience and development. That being said, I think if two people were brought up in the same culture, under the same exact conditions, let's say, a bisexual Hindu Eskimo female, and an African-American male, that one would not automatically be better than the other.

Quite a slippery slope, eh? :)
  12. All those threads are making generalizations based on a person's job or the instrument they play.. in other words, something they chose. The color of someone's skin is not something they chose, and when you consider the history of discrimination and cruelty against certain people because of their skin color, I think you can see where your logic starts to slide. Whole different ballgame there, cha-cha.

[Edited by Dave Siff on 10-23-2000 at 04:01 PM]
  13. First of all, why compliment only black bassists? A person's skin color has nothing to do with how well they play. Victor Wooten isn't better than me because he's black.. he's better than me because he started playing at the age of 3 and has worked his ass off ever since! Same with Christian McBride. And a whole lot of white guys, too.
    And letting us in on the fact that you're a Republican ain't exactly gonna help your case.
  14. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I am so sorry to all you black bassists for saying you all were great players.
  15. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    You know I was only complimenting the black bassists I have seen in my town, rather it be funk, blues, or rock. No one color is better per se at bass, but in my town all the standout bassists are black.

Vote for Bush and Dick!
  16. Well, you should work on changing that, eh?
  17. Ain't that America! Personally I've never met any bassist who sucked. Cause if they really suck I'm not usually around long enough to meet them.
  18. AHHA

Oct 16, 2000
    Let me just say that I don't feel that skin color in general matters. If you can play, then you can play. And I swore I would pass up this forum to something more interesting to me, but than I wondered, can a black bassist really Rock? Sure there was that Glen Murdock from Mothers Finest and that guy in Living Colour and maybe some more in the new stuff but not many. So can you read into this more if you want but I think any body can play any style if they REALLY WANT to. .........thnx Go: George W.

[Edited by AHHA on 10-23-2000 at 04:45 PM]
  19. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I think that's one of the funniest comebacks I've ever read!

20. The very idea that being a republican makes you a racist is a generalization!
    I have many black friends (some of whom are republicans)that share the same musical intrests.
    I happen to like black music (soul/funk).
    I don't think it's that all black bass players are naturally better but they do have different influences than most white people. Also there's alot more white people in America thereby increasing the number of bad white musicians. There are also far fewer venues for black music in most parts of the country so to the likelihood that you are going to see a bad black band playing black music in a club or bar isn't very high.

I see where you are coming from JWC.
    Don't worry about the liberals they think most other races can't do anything with out their help.
    Liberal dictionary;
    Compassion=a word to cover liberal racism
    Rain forrest= jungle
    Closed minded= principled
    Rich=any white person who owns their own home
    misstated= any lie told by our heros Billary and Alpha male Gore no matter how obvious!;)

Vote your conscience Vote Bush/Cheney!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.