1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has Anyone Ever Noticed This? A New Theory.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plangentmusic, Nov 17, 2010.

1. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    I can't believe it never hot me before, but look at this pic f Jaco. That is one beat up bass. It's more than wear. It looks like it's been abused, tossed about, treated sloppily and pretty much thrown around without care.

YET....the neck is perfect.

Why is that?

Look at the headstock -- brand new, glossy and without a mark on it.

How does one destroy one part of a bass and the other remains pristine?

My guess -- that was a replacement neck.

Now I'm not a fanatical Jaco authority so maybe this has been addressed or someone knows more about it. But by what this picture reveals, I can't believe that is a stock instrument.

Whattaya think?

2. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I believe the fingerboard is epoxied, hence the "glossy" look. It's not a very high-res pic so I'm not sure how much "relicing" you're going to see on clear coated maple at this resolution.

1440ft3.

4. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan

What about the headstock?

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    It could be beat to ****...just not visible in the available light, at that resolution.

6. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    I don't think headstock wear is as noticeable. Jaco rarely (if ever) used a case, and really did abuse his basses. Closer inspection of the board shows that the Roto 66's he used tore the hell out of it, although the shinyness you see is the epoxy.

7. I have heard that when he taught at the University of Miami he used to throw his bass out of the second story window onto the lawn, rather than just carrying it with him down the stairs. Of course, I'm sure this may just be one of the many myths associated with Jaco, hehe.

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm pretty sure forum rules won't let me say what I truly think, so I'll just say your theory is ridiculous.

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    :DThat bass looks very very nice!
    :D

check out my '71 jazz..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:bag:

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Show us the headstock, that's what's up for debate :D

11. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan

Do you have a point? If not, don't post.

I gave my reasons why and just thought it was interesting. If you have a problem with that, I don't really care.

12. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Neck in perfect condition? It doesn't even have frets!
    :bag:

13. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    the body is much bigger and heavier, so i guess it "attracts" more damage :)

also, it shows more damage, because it's painted - a ding that chips some paint off can be seen from far away due to the contrast!

in the Jaco case, i do remember reading that his neck was repaired... even broken and glued back together... so i guess it did receive a fair amount of abuse :D

14. As others have said, the headstock is a transparent finish, so damage wouldn't be as readily apparent as on the painted body. Also, it could have been refinished the same time he had the board epoxied.

15. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    you don't want to see it, trust me.

:D

16. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

Yeah, my point is you made a theory based off one pic, when there are dozens of other Jaco pics (and videos) showing the bass wear that you don't see in your one pic. Add to that the amount of scrutiny Jaco got by just about every bassist in the world over the last 35 years, and yet nobody has ever ventured this theory of yours. Your theory doesn't hold water. It's not even a theory at this point anyway; it's a hypothesis. And a not very good one.

17. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    who cares?
    it's not like a sports star taking steroids. maybe it would be a scandal if we found out he wasn't really playing bass

18. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Jaco said he never did anything to hurt his bass. He said he'd somersault over it, and sometimes toss it, (not straight down) but nothing that would do anything more than maybe scuff it a bit. He loved that bass. "That's entertainment folks!"

19. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Well excuse me for making conversation.

20. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    A sports star taking steroids is important?

Didn't say it was a scandal, just an observation.