Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone ever played a tenor bass? Piccolo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There's a lot of talk about 4, 5 and 6 stringers, but no talk at all about people who play in different ranges and settings by playing differently tuned instruments. I'd like to know how many, if any, people have considered exploring the tenor or piccolo bass (tuned a-d-g-c or any other combination).

Will C.:cool:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use my Ibanez Soundgear with tenor bass tuning.
    Sounds very cool! But I don't use it that much. I'd like a six-string better, if I could only convince my wallet...;)

3. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Piccolo bass? Is that like jumbo shrimp? ;)

4. I currently have my 5 string strung EADGC. I have only had the thing for two weeks.

So far, I am 'evaluating' the tuning. What it seems really useful for is 'fingerpicking'. You can carry on a rhythm and bass part simultaneously...the chords sound good and you still have two strings to provide a bass line. Sounds excellent solo.

5. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I used to have this cheapo 5 string bass with a horrible sound, very lose B string etc. One day it just occured to me .. what if? so I tunned the B string to E, the E to A and so on.

suddenly the bass sounded great, well a lot better every thing really tight. I took it to the luthier to correct the neck and harmonics... an presto! there I had my own tenor bass..

notice, the strings were extralite before but became rock hard after.. I fingers loved me for doing this to them :-D

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got my Curbow Int'l Petite 5 string set up with a high C. I've played it that way for about 2 years now. I never used the low B with the music I was playing, and I was taking alot of solos. So, it just made sense. And, as soon as I can get a set from Dude, I'll be taking it to Curbow to have him set it up with Jazz flats tuned EADGC. The bass is semi hollow, and I bet this bass will sing with the jazz flats.

Oh, and as for the original point of the thread, I have a cheap yamaha 4 string that I strung up with D'Addario piccolo strings, and a kahler tremolo. A couple of times I used an octave pedal, and played it with my band, but I didn't experiment with it too much in that capacity. I just really played around with "fake guitar." It now sits in the closet. Some day, I'd like to build a decent piccolo jazz bass with warmoth parts, but it isn't tops on my GAS list.

7. I've been using piccolo & tenor tuned basses for qute a while now, one or more of my basses is always set up that way. I use it quite a lot for home recording and occasionally in the studio. I have also used them live for melodies and solos and then used an octaver to cover the bass parts.

8. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I have one of my basses strung E-A-D-G-C. For playing melodic lines, chords, and upper register lines it is a nice way to string a bass, unless, of course, you like to play the low B-Dsharp a lot. My other 5s are strung the conventional way, and all I can say is that I think it is an all or nothing proposition--switching back and forth between conventional and tenor 5s messes with me too much. It sure does make me think about buying a 6 string since I am not (at this point) willing to abandon my low B.
    Digs

9. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    oxymoron