has anyone ever played an esp ltd f-205?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twiggy_04', Oct 28, 2001.

1. i'm thinking about getting one, but the music stores around here don't carry them. i was wondering if anyone has played one and if they sound as cool as they look? i'm into the weird looking basses:D
  2. Remington

Nov 19, 2001
    USA, Michigan
    Yes I have one and I really love it. I have the Black Cherry one. Its a nice and fast bass that looks mean! I really like it, its not quite the sound I would like but I still really like it.
  3. Jasted

Jan 3, 2002
    I bought the 205 around 10 months ago. And I have now retired it offically. It's horrible. I have two fender deluxes and there is no comparison. To start with it, it's an LTD. The bottom of the line for ESP. The neck warps easily, and the bridge is cheap. The pickups are not even REAL EMG's but emg HZ's. More garbage. If you want something that looks good, buy the 205, but if you want something that will last and sound good, buy something else.
  4. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Bleh, I don't care for them. They sound sterile and the neck was just too sticky-like for me. It just didn't play well for me.
  5. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    sorry, i did test one out and the bass did not sound/play good for me. oh well. It was emerald green
  6. damn, i didn't realize it was that bad. well does esp make one like it or is it just for ltd? would it at least sound good if i put "real" emg pickups? well, if not, how about any b.c. rich ones like the warlock or nj beast? are those any good?:mad:
  7. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    bc rich basses arnt the greates either. they have really bad neckdive. i hear the us made ones are quiet nice though.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you're looking at basses from a purely visual level, you're not gonna very happy. All those "mean" and pointy basses, I.E. ESP and B.C. Rich, really prey on people that want to "look" cool. None of those lower level instruments like the NJs, or LTD are worth much, and the companies just kinda hope you you're dumb enough to think you need a "metal" bass to be cool, mean, agressive, whatever. Best way to arm youself against it: don't be taken in by the looks. Most of the guys you see playing those kinda basses/guitars play custom, handbuilt models, which are another beast entirely.

The ONLY basses I would try out on that visual level thing would be the Schecter Scorpion and SB-1. They are kinda metal looking (I guess) and aren't too bad a bass. There's a reason so many people just play regular ol' lookin stuff. It works....
  9. ok, i won't buy one. but any suggestions for a 5-string that is under $1000? i just wish these companies would would make "metal" looking basses that sounded and played good.
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000

one of the most metal suited basses. go with the korean made, they sound really good!
  11. Yea i thought the esp was ALRIGHT, but i soon discovered that warwick is like the best bass ive ever heard, with those 'growls', it has a bit of nose dive, but you get used to it. and its over 1000 $,but its worth it.:D
  12. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I bought one from AMS, kept it for 48 hours and sent it back. It was horrid. I liked the shape and thought ESP would've put a little more care into the construction but the B string rattled and the overall workmanship just seemed to be lacking.
  13. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I know this is a little late since you originally posted in October, 2001, but in light of the responses you got, I felt I had to weigh in.

I purchased the 4-string version, the ESP LTD F-204 and I gotta tell ya, I love it. The band loves it. It really delivers on the the tones needed to meet the variety of cover material we play. My ears have suffered many years of punishment, but our guitarists and keyboardist (both very accomplished musicians with excellent ears) have raved about the sound of this bass. Previously I was using a Fender P exclusively. Now I use it about 40% of the time on songs where it is especially well suited. Other than that, I use the ESP. Holds tuning nicely and the neck is quick. I have the Black Cherry finish. I love the color, but black is always very unforgiving as it shows everything. I'm really happy with this bass. At the time I was considering the Schecter Devil Tribal bass. Finally got one in my hands and from a sound standpoint, wasn't all that impressed with it. But the neck was comfortable enough. The neck felt strangely like a Fender P neck! Just didn't seem to be able to get the range of sound from it that I would expect from a $700.00 guitar. However, I digress. For the $400.00 I spent, I felt I did really well for my money. Obviously, if you have $1000.00 + to spend, then your options are wide open and might want to consider other manufacturer names. That's my 2 cents. Take care.
  14. I have to agree with hammer2748 I own the same one. The guys I jam with think it sounds great:D
    I'm also thinking of buying a f205 witch i also have played and liked that one. The f205 will be diamond plate.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've played several F-205's. They sound even worse than they look.