1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone ever played one of those huge Mexican "bass guitars"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Mar 30, 2006.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I hope this is the right forum for a thread about them, but they're pretty much bass guitars aren't they? I don't even know what they're called. :eyebrow:

Anyway, how do they compare to an acoustic bass guitar? Are they louder than ABGs, how do they play and how are they tuned? Thanks in advance.

2. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
  3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Not a lot of fingerboard to it eh?

4. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I was at a restaurant last week with a mariachi band, and they had a guitarron. It was amplifed, but the sound was super thick and round, with less sustain than an electric.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks for the links, guys. They look pretty cool, don't they?
    It's kind of a bummer that their lowest string is an A, though, so I guess they aren't really a replacement for an AGB. :meh:

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

They always look a little awkward to play, to me.

It would be nice, though, if Ernie Ball would someday start making some Earthwood basses again, perhaps this time with graphite reinforcement to strengthen the construction. Earthwoods are supposedly really awkward to play as well, but at least they would be more familiar to us bass players. :meh:

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

looks like there are about 5 "frets":D

8. Yeah, they are pretty awkward to play and tend to tear themselves to pieces under string tension, but that sound...man. I've asked Jon from EBMM if there are plans in the pipeline for a reissue, but he said it's a no-go.
    I've played a few guitarrons; some are nice and project well, but with others the sound doesn't really make it out of the body.