Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone ever played....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Zebraface, May 16, 2003.

1. Hello, I have my eye on a Peavey Combo 115, but it is around 7 years old (second hand). I was wondering has anyone played through, or owned, one of these older models, and if they were any good. Also, how much difference is there between the old Combo 115, and the most recent one? Is it still 200w RMS, with 300w if you use an extension cab?

Thank you! :)

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    No but as I'm here, might as well comment...

You might get some flack re Peavey but it's good for the price and usually a good price. At least you get a bump.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Combo is very reliable and will taek alot of abuse. It's very loud, but the basic tone is kind of midrangey and boxy. It's also heavy...put casters on it if it doesn't have them already.

There are other amps that SOUND a lot better but if you are on a tight budget and need something cheap and loud it's #1 on the list of good buys.

4. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    I have a TKO 65 god only knows how old it is. Has a black widow 15" speaker. I rescued it after it was abandoned at my old practice spot - it wasn't working but all i had to do was connect the amp the speaker (which involved a lot of screwgun action).

Its loud, sounds fine. heavy as hell. i'm not crazy about it.
    -erik

5. Ta for the advice...I think you've all hit the nail on the head regarding loud and cheap. I have heard the basic tone isn't brilliant, but I only have a 20w Stagg practice amp, and now I'm in a band and on the verge of gigging, I need something to go over a loud and fast drummer. Thanks for your help, anymore opinions greatly appreciated. :)

6. I just bought a brand new Combo 115 for $730 (Pretty cheap, RRP is well over $800) and I can say it was worth every penny. I could have gone for an older one at almost half the price, but the tone on the newer version is 10x better, seriously worth the investment if you can afford it. The newer version also comes with casters and spring loaded handles, which is easier for transorting.

Both are VERY heavy for combos of this power, I warn you. I have already done my back in just getting it out of the 3ft square box it came in.

7. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got a Peavey 115s combo that sounds awesome.

Great punch, decent effects and is rated at 160 watts.

Traded my SWR WM12 combo for my Peavey and never looked back.

Great amps.

8. I just got an old combo 115 for $150. I'm not sure how old but it's clearly got some miles on it.(Couple cigarette burns on top-pilling carpet) But after a few minutes I got a (for me) usable tone and plenty of volume. I think it was the right choice for a first gig type of amp for me. Good luck with your choice.

9. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    The Peavey Combo has been one of their best offerings in the combo ranks for years. It is a very versatile amp and is hard to out grow. The ability to drive 2 ohm loads-HARD is a major advantage. These amps are available, used, at very reasonable rates and will last forever.

Kim