Has anyone ever routed out a jazz bass for a MM style humbucker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Dec 11, 2004.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Did it work at all to route out the bridge pickup for a musicman humbucker, or was it too close to the bridge? Anyone try this, or even not with a MM style, but a soapbar type pickup?
  2. I believe TBer Corwin 81 has a jazz with MM pickup assembled by nino-brown
  3. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

I'd be interested in seeing that, although was the MM an aftermarket mod, or custom built? I am just curious as whether there would be spacing issues, and whether it would sound any good. I am thinking of buying an SX 4 string jazz, and would want to route the bridge for a MM pickup.
  4. I believe it was a mod done to MIM jazz body
  5. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Cool cool. I would love to see it/know how it wound up sounding!
  6. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    There is the Warmoth parts Dude Pit Mofo bass.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I belive if you try to do a search, you can find Corwin's bass. He calls it his "Geddy" bass becasue it looks like a Geddy, except for the mm/j pickup config. I know he's posted a pic in the show your basses thread, and i THINK he made a seperate thread about it too.
  8. I had a MIM Deluxe Jazz, modded out with J/MM Seymour Duncan pups and aggie pre.

That sh!t own3d, but alas i no longer have it..
  9. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    my bass was a MIM body that another TBer had routed for a MM pup and battery cavity. The MM is probably closer to the bridge than the "sweet spot", but I still love it. It's got a mangy growl when I have it in series and digging in.

here's the pic...

and here's how she sounds:
    Parallex - Summer
    Parallex - Get Out of Me

//edit: the verses in Summer are done with the Schecter Model T-5 since I didn't have the "Geddy" with me during mixing when I re-did the bassline for it. Everything else is that bass through a SABDDI.
  10. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

The MM gets moved around by different manufacturers, seems like even some of the oringinals are closer - like the Sterling. At any rate, in my exploration, I pretty much prefer it closer to the bridge - and I can and have moved them from neck to bridge.

Something else to think about is that two J's side by side sound very much like an MM. There are an endless supply of J's out there for tone variations/combinations. There's not many variations on the MM's. The Barts are definetly different and the non-alnico 5's are noticeably different, but most the Alnico 5 MM's I've had have sounded close enough to the originals not to be hardly worth the change.