1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anyone ever tried a vocal harmonizer with bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by u84six, Jan 25, 2012.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Can they actually pick up the low frequencies and harmonize with it? I'm working on a specific effect and I'd like to harmonize my notes. Do you think a TC-Helicon D1 would work?

2. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Because I want to be able to send the harmony to a separate effects chain. But I'm not sure if they make a device that allows that kind of control.

3. Do you need fixed harmonies or are you looking for smart harmony? I was thinking HOG (has fixed 3rds and 5ths, plus a dedicated effect out) or a Pitchfactor (makes pretty sounds, but I've never played with one).

Digitech Harmony Man is supposed to do smart pitch shifting and my M13 does some monophonic smart pitch shifting with decent --but not great-- results (an M5 might do you here), but both might require some creative signal routing or a splitter.

No, I've never tried a vocal harmonizer.

4. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    No, but I was looking at the Boss Harmoniser a couple of weeks ago. Ended up getting aa octaver instead.

5. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    What would be great is if it has smart harmony with an output that's dedicated to the harmony. That would be the solution to my problem.

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Isn't the OP is talking about VOCAL harmony boxes, not bass/guitar harmonisers, going by the threads title?

I don't know myself, but I'm guessing one would work ok if you stick to root notes, maybe 4th and 5th of the chords, but as soon as you start playing passing notes, I reckon it will get thrown.

I would say, either take a line out from one of your guitarists for the harmony feed, or try something like the TC-Helicon VoiceTone H1 Intelligent Harmony pedal. Quite compact, let you feed with a guitar signal, but also has a manual key selector if you can't get a feed that should fit most songs. Been thinking about getting one myself to fill out the backing vocals a bit more on the odd song.

7. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    I own a TC Helicon Harmony G XT, and I can tell you it would not even come close to serving the purpose you're trying to achieve.... neither would the D1. The D1 doesn't do harmonies at all, it's doubling and octaves.

As far as using the intelligent harmonies... you have to make sure the root and the third are prominent in the chord or the pedal will get confused. For example it does great if you're playing standard G,C,or D chords but gets really confused if you play a G/B, C2(No 3rd), or an D/A. For songs with odd chord voicings or inversions it works best if you use the scale harmony mode where you pick the key.

I'd go to the local guitar shop and demo a Digitech Harmony man and see if it will work for you. Imo the best one is the Eventide Pitchfactor.

8. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Thanks for the info!