Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone ever TRIED an Alessandro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmanjones, Dec 10, 2002.

1. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    If so, what's the scoop?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    jonesy! long time no see! how are ya how are ya howareya!

but anywho, yea, i had a chance to try one at the recent Philly Guitar Show. George actually had his amps and bass amps up on the showcase platform in the dining area. there was a gentleman using an old german upright thru it had to be heard to be believed. warm, fat, sweet. Oi!

volume wise, he was clearly heard, but then again, there was no drummer. just trumpet, bass, guitar. when i went over to check it out, he only had the volume up around 5, no PA. its only 60 watts, but the bassist told me, he's had no trouble in a trio setting with a drummer and pianist. big band, maybe, but he has it mic'ed just in case.

i tried George's parts P bass with it, and it had all the detail and hifiness that i crave, with a low end that's warm warm warm like butter. EQ was very drastic and usable. not as limited as my Demeter VTBP.

overall, it felt very similar to my old DB359 in that rounded yet hifi air. but the Ally had an even more clearer and open voice, while the Aggie was more burnished like a pillow of cotton that road above the overall tone. (ok, that was weird, but that's what it feels like ;)). but it seems to have too much of it, cause the treble knob over 6 is just tooo much zing.

also, i remember the Aggie feeling a bit a tad stouter and stiffer in the mids, but whaddya expect for 200 watts vs. 60 watts. the Ally is more gooey, glassy and gushy in the mids. maybe even have a greater sense of depth.

on the Ally tho, low end feels a bit muffled and mushy as you turn it up the bass knob, while the Aggie was more bolder. might be due to the bigger tranny on the Aguilar, but also seems like the freqencies they accentuate down there are a bit different.

overall, WAAAY clearer in the upper registers than my Kern is, but not as punchie or stout. and yet, the Ally wasnt as aggressive or woolly as the DB359 when you turn it up. instead, the Ally stays clear and clean up until you peak around 9 on the volume dial to which point it'll begin to mush a bit in the attack.

but to qualify all this, the amp was running thru George's regular guitar cab that happened to have a Celestion BG100 bass speaker. no porting, no nothing. just wood and a speaker in it like most guitar cabs. not the best cab, but i'm actually going to G's house later next week with my Bergantino 1x12 to hear how it really sounds. i'll post back a review on this thread.

IMHO, i think the amp is more a jazz guitar box that happens to double as a bass amp. the specs on the website are eerily similar to the Italian and Redbone. so for me, its a great two in one box.

also, volume wise, i'm sure it'll do the jazz combo thing really well. i could hear how it'd get stoopid loud for such a context that you wouldnt need all of its volume. given that you dont have to be that loud in a small club of 75-100, the Ally should easily fill the room over, say, a 5 piece group.

overall, to say the least, i was thoroughly impressed with a small little box that could put out such gorgeous tube sound.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    btw,

i forgot to add that this was the same "suped up til high heaven" amp that BP used in their review! George FINALLY got it back just in time for the show.

tho the price on the review was astronomical, i'm pretty sure the price has since tamed down a bit given his resurgence and interest in the amps over time thanks to the review.

speaking of which, i just got off the phone with George, and he's got a standard version sitting in his shop right now, and its a killer price on that one!

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Whoaaa!
    'Jones & 'JNY
    Representin' East Side!
    Cold enuff fellas?
    74 degrees in the shade here! haw-haw!
    I assume you are referring to the Basset Hound, a unit which I covet, even though I could do without the $50,000 solid gold chassis.
    The BP review spoke highly of the amp; I had scanned Allesandro's website previously-pretty impressive sounding.
    I'll bet that head is as pure,sweet, and uncolored as one could imagine. Me, I like tubes, what with my Mesa Buster & Ampeg V4BH-I think that the basic $2K BassetHound would be a very cool rig to use for a low key BG -as -upright sound- jazz/lite fusion thing. I just KNOW it would sound superb as I finger, glissando, slap/pop & play my a** off
    (IF I owned one, which I don't but wish I did!)
    The woodwork on his cabs looks very excellent as well, what does he use, Celestions?
    Imagine how the top/bottom would pair up-Very cool!
    SEASON'S GREETINGS,
    fellow GAS-head gear-crazy mo-fo's like me,
    ('cept I'm 3,000 miles closer to Demeter)
    :D

5. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    LOL, ask a question on talkbass and get HCBF answers. :D Thanks guys.

Joker, from reading your review I notice that gear reviews are starting to sound more and more like automotive review what with the tranny and all.

I called him on the phone last week and asked a few questions. His actual pricing is a whole lot more reasonable than what's listed on the website which is good. Said he doesn't make it higher powered because he wants to keep the compactness of the design. I'd be willing to guess that he also probably wants to keep it in settings that it would fit best like quieter ones (i.e. jazz combos) where you can actually hear the qualities of the amp vs. it's DI'd representation. Nice guy. :)

I bet with a super efficient cab you could get some major volume from it.

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I for one never considered the design or purpose of the 60-watt Bassett to be anything but major pure tone.
    I'm sure the circuit can get some nice headroom as you mentioned with a great matching cab, but I would suggest that the 'Hound is made to play on a nice "cruise control" level, giving off bee-yoo-tiful
    round deep bass tones. I can feel it!
    And yes, NO ONE can write a review like the Joker!
    No nuance can get past his scrutiny and appraisal,
    and you'll note he deals in nothing but the high-end gear!!;)

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hehe... Its a curse, whaddya expect?? :p :D

but always good to hear from long lost folks like Jonesy and you too, Larr.

i'll actually be in Cali later in Feb for a wedding. i'm not playing, thankfullly, just dancing, eating, and relaxin', so i'll be soakin' up some of that sun soon enough!

jonesy,

IMHO, i think a guy like you would love the Basset. just seemed obvious that you'd be asking around about it. its small, easy to lug, has a gorgeous gorgeous sound that would be more than just a compliment to that Stambaugh you've been eyeing. ;) I think Luthiers Access has one. maybe you can try it on eval.

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    What? All your top- of -the -line gear is a curse??
    Lay some of that "curse" on me, then!!
    If you have time & are in the general LA vicinity,shoot me a PM when you get here-I'm working in town, come on down and show 'em how the East Coast does it..I'm pretty "tough: but I hear that there are 12-year olds in NYC that sight-read with one arm tied behind,and are scary good!!!
    ...Plus you can drop in on an old friend of yours,
    Jim Demeter

'Jones-send your Bassett out here for the winter-
    I'll be happy to evaluate it with or without the solid gold chassis!
    :cool:

9. Huh? Did i hear something, sounds familiar...Oh, its you guys. :D

10. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    It took me a minute to figure out what "HCBF"
    answers meant!!
    I thought was being DISSED! Here! On TB!
    NOT!
    Damn, I wish I was not so sensitive!:D

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i think i should qualify my observations about the tone with the fact that despite, the less than ideal bass cab, the amp still sounded incredible. whether or not, the amp would sound better in a "real" bass cab might be moot. George might have tuned the Basset to sound best thru his particular cab.

then again, the Luthier's Access boyz had their Basset running thru a Daedelus 1x12/1x5 cab and a few Epifani 1x12's, and they loved it. the BP review used a variety of bass cabs, and they loved it!

like i said, i'm gonna haul out my Bergie 1x12, and hear how it really goes. i'll post up some thoughts. hopefully, not quite in the "novella" form. ;)

Larr,

np, man. if i can get the gf to allow a little detour, i'm there! :D

12. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    PREVIEW OF JNY'S REVIEW OF THE BASSET W/ BERGIE CAB...!

"T'was a dark & stormy night, when I, after putting swiftly away my Stewart 2.1 and loosening the speakons on my VTB, chost to forsooth, put the pedal to da medal on my "Bassett!"
    "HO! What flowery sounds emitted- 'Twas the cross betwixt dare I say, an Angel's wing and the dew-drops enfolding from the Heaven's hie on above..."
    "Tone spewed forth like no other hath heard..."

Alright, alright enuff!:D

See ya when ya get here, possibly!!
    (-: