Has anyone ever tried "half out of phase" wiring?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LamarKafka, Apr 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LamarKafka

LamarKafka

Oct 25, 2015
    Edinburgh
    Has anybody here tried using "half out of phase" wiring on a bass? IIRC, it's when you have two pickups out of phase with a capacitor in series with one of them. I've seen it done on guitars (most notably Jerry Donahue's Telecasters) and it produces a less phase canceled middle position with more midrange. I don't have the tools or skills to try it out but it sounds like it could be an interesting alternative to series/parallel wiring on a Jazz Bass for a less scooped/quacky middle position (if I had to guess, it might sound a bit like the bridge position on a Ric 4003).

2. postalflunkie and LamarKafka like this.
  3. I've always been intrigued with the out of phase sound since my first bass, a Peavey T-40. It's not an every day sound but used right sounds cool. Think Journey's Who's Crying Now.
    Now that I've tried the Half-out-of-phase I think its an option with more practical applications. Listen to my sound clip (my playing isn't the best) and see what you think. And, as a bonus you also get a different sound out of the applied pickup when it is soloed

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The Rickenbacker series capacitor is just a filter that removes low freq (high pass filter).

The 90 degree phase shift is done differently:

jerry2.jpg

5. That schematic only uses a cap in line with the phase switching, I also used a resistor which drops the pickups volume a little, allowing the unaffected pickup to have a little dominance in the overall sound.
    Tele3-WayHOoP  HOoPPushPullSwitch.jpg

6. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti