Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

has anyone ever used a DOD Meat Box?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by swassguy, Aug 29, 2003.

1. What were your impressions?

do I need a lot of power to get good results?

Does anyone have a schematic for one?

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I own and use one...

I love the thing, crazy speaker blowing lows...

At Least 200w

Good luck building one, them parts are WAY more expensive than the pedal... Mind you I did pay almost 250 for mine... But I have the onholy duo:

The Buzz Box
    and
    The Meat Box

cheers

Alex

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    $250?!!! I got mine used for like $40. It's now a permanent part of my rig. I leave it on all the time as a tone thickener. At first I wasn't going to use it because it had a bit of distortion along w/ the subharmonic, but now I've got a biamp rig. It only goes to the sub, and the sub only reproduces the subharmonic, not the distortion. Yes you need a lot of power for it and I recommend a subwoofer for best results.

What is the Buzz Box like?

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Ya they are getting collectors prices now... The buzz box cost me round $300!!! The buzz box is basicaly a whacked out MXR blue box... Which means it is a random octave / distortion generator... Its mad!.. and Bill Laswell has one... I dunno it is really extream, borderline unsualble most ofthe time... But so much fun when you do use it...

Here's a link...

http://www.harshnoise.com/product_i...urer_id=0&model_number=&product_name=buzz+box

Alex

5. Well, I just happened to find one (literally) and thought it might solve all of my problems.

I hooked it up but all that came out of it were some farts and what sounded like it not knowing how to handle the tones coming in - I guess now that it was my amp that was having the trouble.

I ask about the schematic because I think a wire was unhooked and I wasn't sure where it went...

I guess I'll just wait until I have my "Super Subwoofer" done to try it out.

6. i really dig mine but for a more useable subharmonic synth I use the DBX 120XP (the box that Laswell uses for both bass and the entire mix.) It's polyphonic and clean. Blisss.....

7. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What type of Amp/Cabinet are you using?

Those Subharmonics are going to be an octave under what you are playing. Most combo amps won't handle those frequencies at loud volumes.
    Many bass cabinets also won't produce those low subharmonics very well.

There could be tracking problems with the Meat Box as well. I think it can only track a single note at a time where some rack units (such as the dbx 120xp) can track multiple notes.

I always warn the soundguy at a club if I am using a subharmonic synth in my rig. Those extra low notes can blow speakers.

8. why did you pay 250? thats way too much.

9. My head is a '68 Fendar Bassman (50 watts) and a Sunn 2x15 cabinet with JBL D-130's.

Nope, I'm not going to run this box through that amp. I'm going to be building another subwoofer amp to handle it - 15'' driver in a box pointed to the floor with a dedicated 500-700 watt power amp. It'll be there to mainly make sub 100 or 80 Hz tones. I was thinking about getting a furman Punch 10 or the dbx 120 to make my tones, but since I found this stomp bow I thought I would ask about using it with this new box...

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'll agree that the dbx is better (polyphonic, stereo), but since mine's still broken :( I've been using the meatbox for the same job and think it's more than a toy. I'm pretty sure the range is wider than the dbx, and monophonic doesn't bug me because I don't play chords way down there. Also, the DOD has dedicated 30 and 60 hz tone knobs that come in handy. I would not recommend it if you're running a single signal through a normal pedalboard because of the forementioned distortion. My pedalboard is set up so that the DOD feeds the sub, and I have 3 signals going to my amp, at least 1 of which is always clean. I'm very happy w/ this setup, and recommend multiple paths to anyone who likes fx. My digital tuner has 4 inputs and 1 out, so it's very easy to feed the amp clean, fx1, and fx2 all at once. Keeping the clean signal strong allows you to use pedals w/out sacrificing your basic tone.

11. I really think that what most folk are hearing is just those EQ knobs cranked on the DOD.Roll those right off and check out that weak and sketchy synth tone; not much better than a Blue box. Ok, obviously not that bad. I really dig my Meatbox and for a special effect it's cool for sure but the DBX is glitch free and only a tad more cash. I left mine on always as a way to beef up my fundamentals. The 120XP also goes a whole heck of allot lower, which is rather useless really...I keep my 24-36hz knob off because I can't hear it much anyway.
    The DBX and Meatbox are apples and oranges....very different. If you crave a powerful and dramatic effect that isn't an octaver, go for it!
    Side note; once i started using my DOD FX25 for that deep subharmonic dub thang, the MEatbox was relegated to the closet.

12. Oh yeah; the Meatbox is ultra-handy as a splitter! I used it to run two seperate fx chains into my old Mesa 400+, split after my filters and before time delays and fuzzes; very cool.

13. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003