Has anyone ever used a Gibson Thunderbird in any kind of prog?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5 is right, Feb 21, 2020.

1. 5 is right

5 is right

Jan 23, 2020
    In my experience Gibson Thunderbirds are usually thought of as basses people use for playing simple and heavy bass lines but has anyone ever seen someone using it in prog or just generally using it for more complex stuff?

2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Suspended Supporting Member

Well, I certainly do use my two 'Birds for fairly simple, heavy bass lines, but... with the right strings, and some judicious amp/pedal tweaking, I can't see any reason why you couldn't play anything else with one. At the end of the day, it's...just a bass (and, now I'm in trouble..:rolleyes:). This would be a good question to ask over in the Thunderbird Club forum. I imagine some of my fellow members play all kinds of stuff with their 'Birds...:cool:

Beej, Border, Jim622 and 2 others like this.
  3. The late, great Chris Squire comes to mind...

upload_2020-2-21_13-49-39.jpg

As for "complex stuff"...I'd venture a guess that most bass players would regard the style of late John Entwistle as complex...

upload_2020-2-21_13-52-35.jpeg

4. 5 is right

5 is right

Jan 23, 2020

2112 and rickwebb like this.
  5. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    On Drama, he uses it on "Does it really happen"

woodyng2, MCF and rickwebb like this.
  6. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Good question!

I remember seeing a YouTube video of a bass cover of this song with a Thunderbird. It sounded fantastic and close to the recording.

7. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I just got a Thunder Bird and am very happy with it. It does great for everything I have thrown at it.

:)

MCF and REMBO like this.
  8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Martin Turner of Wishbone Ash.

bobyoung53, Kenova, Sid Fang and 17 others like this.
  9. byoung93888

byoung93888

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Glenn Cornick of Jethro Tull and Geddy Lee.

RickC, MAJORA64, woodyng2 and 9 others like this.
  10. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Simple heavy bass lines? Man you are sheltered.

ColdEye, darren1970, Beej and 9 others like this.
  11. 5 is right

5 is right

Jan 23, 2020
    What is your point? Do you not understand what I’m writing?

Mastodon2, TrustRod and fat_nermil like this.
  12. 5 is right

5 is right

Jan 23, 2020
    Has Geddy Lee ever used it on a recording?

13. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Geddy Lee? Huh, that's a new one for me. Learn something new everyday. Googling now.

14. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    I do understand and as a life long Thunderbird player I find it rather insulting.

ColdEye, bobyoung53, KaraQ and 12 others like this.
  15. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

You can play anything you like on a Thunderbird. I've done it in my cover bands. We cover a little bit of everything depending on the venue we play. Prog, R&B, Rock, Grunge, Alternative, Pop, Country, Reggae, Hip Hop, Punk just to name a few. I played a Thunderbird exclusively through 25 gigs in 6 months covering all of the above genres just last year. Worked just as well for me as a P or J once I EQ'd for the venue.

P. Aaron and MCF like this.
  16. 5 is right

5 is right

Jan 23, 2020
    Well, I did not say that simple bass lines are inferior to a more complex style so I don’t really see why you would be insulted but you do understand the difference in style between Nikki Sixx and Geddy Lee, right? I’m just asking a question because I’m interested in knowing, whether anybody has used a Thunderbird to play in a style such as, for instance, Geddy Lee’s.

TrustRod likes this.
  17. 5 is right

5 is right

Jan 23, 2020
    craig0316 and bassinplace like this.
  18. Rezdog

Rezdog Gold Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

Check out the UK Prog band Wishbone Ash. They had a rather large following back in the hay day of Prog. Martin Turner played a wicked TBird and sang lead vocals. They were awesome live.

Rezdog

19. I have... on prog stuff nobody here has ever heard of. Wasn't mine (was a borrowed gibson), and it was super cool... but it was a long long time ago in a project far far away, and I doubt I even have the mixdowns anywhere still. So many recordings I've done in my life, so little to show for it... LoL

but it worked fine. wasn't as bright as I would choose these days, but back in the 80s or 90s when I did it the setup in that studio got a great tone out of it. I only owned my fretless at the time and this excellent fretted tbird was available, and the owner (as was common for me back in those days) was kind enough to let me play it on the session. Pretty heavy jazz prog stuff with overdrive, recorded in Vancouver somewhere.

Anyhow - any good bass can do any style, as long as it's not too extreme of a unique instrument.

KaraQ, MCF, ajkula66 and 1 other person like this.