Has anyone ever used PA subs in a bass rig? <m>

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsius29A, Sep 17, 2000.

1. Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    For this new band I'm in (I'm playing guitar and warr in it), our bassist is probably going to be using a 6 string w/ f#beadg tuning. What sort of rig would you use to amplify such low nights to give a warm, rich steinway piano type clarity? Would it make sense to use PA gear?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll let you in on my secret, if you promise not to tell the rest of my band.

::::looking around furtively::::

When we play a large venue or outdoors, we use our JBL 18-inch subs for the PA along with our 15-inch two-way full range cabs. We (I) bi-amp the subs and full range with a crossover frequency of 100 to 120 hz. Well, now. Let's tally up which instruments/vocals dwell in that frequency range. OK, you've got the bass, then you've got the ... lessee, you've got the uhhh, the, ummm ... danged if I know. Fortunately for me, I don't think the rest of the band has given this much thought.

So when we're outside, I'm playing through six tens (my stage rig) and two 18's, and nobody's the wiser. Not to mention that I'm getting the power for "free" off the PA amps. Mum's the word, eh?

p.s. I know you've got the kick drum, but that just sounds like the attack on my notes.