Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

has anyone ever...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jan 21, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    ...got condensation on/in a bass amp?

My band practices in a really crappy house with floors falling in, water pipes breaking due to winter weather, and an overall poor building seal.

We discovered our amps yesterday covered with condensation on the outer surface and not sure what's inside. I have an SVT. I did not turn it on last night at all, just packed it up and got it out of the house.

Will it be ok if I give it a day or two to dry out or am I screwed?

2. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Better get out of that place or you will pay more for equipment rapairing than paying a rent for dry place.

3. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    In the short-term you should be fine, if you dry the amps out well. I would suggest you NOT try using them when their wet.

You could do it with a hair dryer, but probably better to put them in a room with a dehumidifier.

In the long-term, you're going to have problems if this situation continues -- corrosion, short circuits, the works.

I concur with Zoran's advice -- get out of there.

4. Heres a trick that may help if you MUST keep your equipment in that environment. After rehearsing , get a sheet of plastic large enough to create a "tent " over your equipment. Inside this tent , keep a 60watt light bulb running. It will help to keep the environment inside the "tent " dry. I never had to do this for a bass rig , but I do use it on my motorcycle during the damp winters here on Long Island, and it is very effective in stopping condensation / corrosion of the components. Of course you must take care that the bulb cannot come into contact with anything flammable. I realize this is not an ideal solution , but it has to be better than leaving your rig in such an "unfriendly" environment ...

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    This sounds like an effective but dangerous idea.
    You will be made liable should the house burn down...

6. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Our stuff is outta there for good. We finally secured a new practice space last night after the fiasco, praise God. I just hope no permenant damage is done. Thanks for the posts.

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    My old band used to practice in a air tight storage container. I came in one evening to practice and everything was covered with condensation. Fired up the amp and it immediately fried something. Fortunately at the time my lifetime Acoustic warranty took care of the problem. Years later I was experiencing intermittent problems with this amp. Took it to 3 different techs who each charged me around $100, to only bring it home and have it do the same thing. I dissassembled the preamp frame and every contact point was corroded/black (I'm sure this was caused way back when the amp was in this practice place). After cleaning with 300 grit sandpaper all the intermittent problems dissappeared.

8. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    That sucks, you're scaring me rumblethump.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Be VERY careful of condensation within the amp.

I once played an outdoor show, and it started to rain. Amp head was inside an SKB rack, and though I got covers on it pretty quickly, it was a few minutes in the rain before I could get my bass somewhere dry.

Later, I forgot to take the lids off to let it dry out, so it sat damp on the inside for almost a week. I show up at the next gig, turn it on and WHAM, something fries inside, the moisture on the circuitboard caused an arch in the electricity. $150 repair . . .

10. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I have it at home now and tonight I plan on taking a hair dryer to the back. I'm not going to turn it on until Wednesday night.

I'm not even for sure anything got wet inside. The amount on the outside scared me though.

How close is the SVT circuit board to that back grille? Is the cicuit board all I need to worry about as far as moisture?

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You have power transofrmers that can possibly rust and corrode, circuit boards that can get corroded, and just about anything else bad that you can think of. So be sure to dry it out completely. If you have a warranty still, don't open it up. If you don't have a warranty, open up the casing and put it somewhere away from moisture, physical damage, and everything else. Be sure it's not anywhere that can get static easily either. Then just leave it open in a warm but dry place, and then put the case back together. It SHOULD be alright, but DO NOT DO THIS if you are unexperienced with this kind of stuff.