1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone experienced this (US J 5 pickup/preamp question)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Mar 22, 2009.

1. I have a 2006 US Deluxe J 5. SCR pickups and active preamp.
    I'm not much of a guy to dick with settings, and I love how the bass sounds with all the controls flat, with minimal tweaking depending on the venue.
    However on the weekend I decided to play with the settings, and in particular see what sounds the different pickups gave.
    bridge pickup had typical tone - throaty, burpy and aggressive. Cool. Not the sort of sound I usually need but when blended with neck pickup gives me the sound I need. No hint of hum either!
    When I solo the neck pickup though out jumps this robust P style sound that surpirised me. Again big, muscular and aggressive but with the thump that I was after. Really wasn't expecting this but the most surprising thing is with either pickup solo'd, the output increased noticeably from when they are blended 50/50.
    Is this normal? I'm certainly not worried about it. The new tones I get are exiting and sound great. Does the same happen for passive basses, as thats what my next bass will be I think.