Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by F*#$NA4, Jan 8, 2004.

1. F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    I have two pretty expensive basses, a new euro 4 Spector, and a Modulus Flea 4, but I feel like selling them both and just buying a mim jazz bass, or an SX J bass for like 120.00 dollars. I feel tired of obsessing over gear, especially after playing some bottom of the line basses that play and sound great. Has anyone felt this way, or have actually done it, selling their expensive gear for cheaper, more mass produced stuff?
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

If that's how you feel then you should do it.

And yes, obsessing over gear can really take away from what is most important; Playing.
  3. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I've felt like that too - but selling your gear doesn't bring happiness or satisfaction (at least it didn't to me). Quit obsessing over gear - just quit thinking about it and play more. Practice all those times when you'd be thinking about gear. It doesn't matter what you have or don't - it's the mindset that's causing your frustration.

The more you play, the more you'll appreciate what you've got - and the better your fingers will sound.
  4. I dig gear almost as much as I dig playing bass. Nothing wrong with that.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ill trade you an SX p bass for the Flea bass.

6. F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    for the input, peazie.
  7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Nah, there is nothing wrong with digging gear. It's just when it becomes more important to acquire good gear than it is to play, that it can be a problem. Unless of course that's what brings you happiness. :p
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    I think Jared has it nailed pretty good. For me, GAS is fun, but it all comes down to how you feel when you strap in on. I've owned about 6 different basses since I've been playing, but no matter what, I keep coming back to the same one (beat up and made up from different basses - looks like ****, but sounds great).

Just think how much it would suck if you sold them and weren't happy with the new one...
  9. I don't think it's a problem at all. Some people like gear. If I didn't have a gig, I'd still like gear.
  10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    DOH! You beat me to it, but I've got a photo flame SX P-bass to trade for that Flea 4 - clearly a better deal than figjam is offering! So, F*#$NA4 - any interest? ;)
  11. I think you are alot like me. I am going to buy a new bass in the spring (spector euro and modulus are on the list) but I can't make a choice. You have 2 very fine instruments there, I would hang on to them unless you really need the cash. And if you do, I will buy either of them ;) . But keep em. If you really want a mim jazz, save up the couple hundred bucks and get one.
  12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey man, I agree. I love my stuff, and don't really have a real gig.

Perhaps I should have said "If you become so obsessed with gear that you start to think that better gear will make your playing better, instead of practice etc etc." That's what I meant really. :)
  13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

You have two high quality basses, a Spector and a Modulus. Be very cautious before you trade them for a $120 bass. Here's why. To TRADE DOWN would be similar in nature from going from a BMW to a Kia. I kid you not.

Cheapo basses are hard to tune;plus they don't stay in tune. Their electronics are lousy. Their knobs fall off. The input jack gets loose right away. The neck can start to curve and warp. The wood is bad quality. It can dent and scratch easily. The finish wears off. The tuners are bad and can break more easily than in a good quality bass. The frets can wear down. You can experience string buzzing. The tone doesn't begin compare to a better quality bass. And so on.

If you don't need the money, I see no reason to trade down. The reason that you give for trading down would be similar in nature to saying, "Well, I'll drive a five year old KIA because if I drive a Lexus SUV people will just say I am obsessed with fancy cars."

If your current gear sounds good and plays well for you, keep it. Keep it a LONG time. I can almost guarantee you that you will not be satisfied with a $120 bass.
  14. what i'd do? sell the spector, keep the flea. with the money you get from the spector, buy a cheap bass and pocket the extra money. if you want a cheap bass, i'll sell you my SX jazz copy. its a bg-150, butterscotch finish four string. i'll give it to you for $100.00.
    pm me if you are interested!
  15. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I totally agree with Bop, here...and want to add, if you can't get your current basses sounding good...keep tryin', they are sweet...try direct into the amp and work the EQ.

Rob (gear junky - forever)
  16. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Here's my theory:

Buy a bass for $500.00...play gigs and make $500.00, at this point the bass has paid for itself...(no reason to sell it) now...keep gigging, and get MORE GEAR!!!!!!

***if you don't touch a piece of gear for 1 year+, then (and only then) you can "consider" selling/trading***

17. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    One of the best pieces of gear you can ever own is a bass you don't thrashing. I find so much value just playing my beat up p-bass with no worries. I can throw it in the back of my car, play shows without worry, drop it. Hey, I can't really make it look any worse.

But with that said, I think that without good sounding/good playing gear, I would have a lot less fun.
  18. F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Thanks a lot for the input. Its weird, every once and a while, I be screwing around with a friend's 'cheap' bass, or one at the music store, and it plays awesome. At that point, I think to myself, 'why do I have these more costly basses, when this one sounds great.' I get really confused, discouraged and its almost cyclic. GAS is a nasty bi%%&.
  19. hey dude feel the same way!! i thought i was completely dumb or something when i thought a washburn for 250 played better than some 1000 dollar basses but then i thought wait a sec why buy a bass that sounds good but am afraid to take out of its case for fear of scratching it? buy the bass that plays well and upgrade the pickups maybe the bridge and you got yourself a dream bass! HAEHWIK!!OO sorry.
  20. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    by the way...if it's the action on the cheapies that gets ya, don't be fooled...you can get your Spector and Flea feeling great with the proper care...and they'll last longer....

I work for a music school that sell cheapies for young students...we have a "Caraya" Bass (yes I know none of you have heard of it... it's like pieced together from packaged parts, and they slapped a name on it...anyhoo, it played awesome for about a week, and is now having serious neck problems which I have tried to fix (reversed bow) and to boot , while I was re-tuning it...the NUT cracked between the E and A...and we were asking $329.99 cdn...

be careful....