1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone gone from a highend bass to a lowend bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glocke1, Nov 1, 2013.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    I own some highend basses, alembics, and a 64 jazz bass (refin but still worth a lot of money).

Lately I've been thinking about getting rid of all of them except for one alembic and picking up a less expensive bass, like maybe a MIA jazz bassÂ…

anyone done anything similar?

2. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    Yes, there was a time I owned Spectors-Zons-Etc-Owning a house, getting laid off-daughter in college-downsizing hurts sometimes but now I own a 23 less expensive instruments but I rather have different kinds (I play 6,7,8,12 string bass-6,7,8,12,baritone electric and acoustic guitar) than 5 or 6 boutique instruments.

There was a time when I got down to just having one Fender Jazz bass with a Korg Pandora and headphones! Wasnt so bad-actually played more focusing on the one instrument.

My advice is do what you feel you need to do, the only thing to remember is make sure you will not regret your decision. If you dont play and love em, sell em!

3. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Please keep the Jazz also.....you will likely regret giving it up!

4. kingkeld

kingkeld

Sep 18, 2012
    Denmark
    I own several basses, my grand prize being a 2011 American Deluxe Jazz V Fender. I absolutely love it. This beast cost me 17,000 Danish kroner (something like 3,000 US dollars). Basses are frickin' expensive here!
    There is, however, a new kid in town too. I bought an Epiphone Thunderbird (not PRO), just the regular Made In Indonesia standard fare.
    I absolutely LOVE the Thunderbird. I love the sound, I love the way it plays.
    I couldn't replace one for the other, they sound WAY too different for that. But I only bring one bass to practice with the band, and more often than not I find myself dragging the T-Bird along.
    Does it sound BETTER? No. Does it feel better to play? No. But it doesn't sound or feel worse either. In a way, I wish I had saved my 17,000 kroner. On the other hand I REALLY love my Jazz.

5. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Sometimes I play a Spector, sometimes a Rickenbacker, other times I get out one of my four Squier basses . . . . all of which I like for various reasons. I've recorded with them and played them sometimes exclusively.

Once you get past "good" instrument construction, the cost is in the appointments, and finish, not in the playability or tone.

6. From Warwick Thumb to MIM P

7. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    About 15 years ago, I went from MIM J to a vintage Music Man Stingray, then after a few years, sold the MM and bought another MIM J.

Something about the MM always seemed to be fighting me. I've been playing that (now highly modded) MIM J for 12 years now.

I lust for a Sadowsky. But honestly, at my level, I don't need one.

8. [​IMG]

High end Low End.

9. I own numbers of basses, but for a gig, and especially for an outdoor stage, I always carry something relatively cheap and easily replace-able.

Fender Precision, Birdsong Corto, Yamaha SBV, Squire Telecaster bass.

I'm not a veteran studio recording musician, but when I have a chance on that,

I use Fodera YinYang deluxe. It fits everywhere.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I own and play a few high end basses (Sadowsky) because I can afford them. I like them a lot, but a big reason is all the a la carte and sometimes custom build options: I don't have to settle for very limited choices.

That said, I've played some really nice off-the-shelf Fenders. I'd prefer MIA for economic reasons, but I've been impressed with imported low end basses too... not just Fender, but MTD, Lakland, etc. A bassist I know who owns dozens of instruments, including genuine pre-CBS Fenders, said that his MIM P-bass is one of his favorite basses, period. I think all he did was replace the bridge.

Boutique build quality and build options are nice, but what really matters is how you play, not what you play. Absolutely nothing wrong with using a lower end instrument as long as you can get it set up the way you want... and you probably can.

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm trying to go from high end to lowed but no one wants my Roscoe. Trying to reduce some debt and just settle for cheap P or J bass.

12. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I've owned a few US Laklands, a Sadowsky, an Alleva Coppolo P bass (so expensive!). Now my go-to is a beat up 62 AVRI P bass. The AC cost me $2600 and i feel the AVRI is just as good of a bass and I'm not scared to take it to a gig and bump it into something. When I had the AC, i took it to a talkbass GTG and some loser knocked it off the stand and gouged the finish really bad. I was sick to my stomach. I don't need that type of stress on gigs.

13. I went from vintage Alembic series I to cort gb for my fretted bass years ago and stuck with the cort until a couple years ago when I finally got tired of compromising.

It wasn't THAT hard since cort is great for cheap, but you do notice the little things after a while.

Mostly tone lacking compared to the great ones

14. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    [​IMG]
    Well played, sir.

15. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I've had about 40 basses, including Fodera, Lakland, Modulus, Warwick, Stambaugh, lots of EBMM. Most of my basses are in the $300-400 range now, and I enjoy them just as much.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't find an MIA Jazz to be a low-end instrument. So I don't understand the question.

17. kimokeo

kimokeo

Jul 7, 2009
    I love my Pedulla and Musicman, but most of the time, I grab the Ibanez and gig with it. It sounds great, light as a feather, and I don't have about some drunk trying to grab it up, want to play, etc.

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have before. I went from Roscoe and Modulus and FBass to MIA Fenders.

I now own Roscoes again, and have no Fenders.

19. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I guess I have, but it was mainly due to my eventually figuring out I liked the classic passive bass sounds better.

20. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I'm in this camp. Playing a lot of smokey bars here around Austin and don't want the stress of a $3000 bass getting destroyed, stolen or whatever. I have a Fender MP V on order that will probably become my main gigging bass. I'm not going to be all that concerned if that bass gets a few chips and dings along the way and tone wise it will be perfect for what we're doing.