Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone gotten pissed off and missed a show on purpose?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WildeStarr, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Not so proud about this looking back on it now, but I did do it one time. Back in 1998, I was playing with a local band here in the S.F. Bay Area who I will not name... OK they were called Velocity. They had a pretty decent CD out, but they were horrible "live" as I found out doing the first 2 gigs with them. I felt like s**t getting onstage with these guys, it was so bad. I told them I was quiting after we were done with the next/3rd gig but I never even came to play the show, I just stayed home! That is how bad these guys were.... :(

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Never did it and hopefully never will. To me that's the #1 mortal sin, backing out of a gig you said you would do.

Yep, that means I've done my share of horrible gigs.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, me too. I tried a band that sounded good on tape and sucked horribley live. I played the two shows they had inside of two weeks under the name 2X (two bye) and cancelled everything else outside of two weeks.

4. OK, It was not as bad as it seems. They had one of those stupid computers they used for massive background vocals and it had bass tracks and keyboards programed in it already so when I did not show up, they just pulled up the bass parts. I guess that was one of the reasons that I did not feel that bad about blowing off the gig.

Mortal Sin....?? I can think of far worse things in this world! If you are just talking about music, then the worst offense is to suck or play with people who suck! :spit:

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you get a rep for blowing off gigs on a whim, you will find it hard to get gigs. It doesn't matter that they were zeros, if they badmouth you around town you'll suffer for it.

Who's going to want to work with someone who they think might be a no-show? Great players who are flakes won't get much work while so-so players who are ultra dependable will work forever.

I can assure you I'm not getting my gigs because of killer chops :meh:

6. My reputation in the music industry speaks for itself, I blew those guys off to keep my reputation intact! If losers talk bad about you, who cares nobody listens to them! The lead guitar player even told me he understood why I bailed out! :D

7. I blew a gig once. The drummer, nicknamed "jack pall" because of his tendencey to drink a fifth of Jack Daniels and smoke Pall Mall cigarettes during practices and gigs, called me whilst drunk as hell, and asked me to stop by his girlfriends place and get another bottle for him and the lead guitarist (who was swearing at me into the cell phone from the crowd) and a bag of weed which would be in her (the girlfriends) purse. They were wasted 2 hours before the gig and this was the 3rd and final time for me. I said NO and hung up, and told then I quit the next day. Incidentally, the club owner asked them to leave and would not allow them (us) to play because of their behavior shortly after the call. Mortal sins are transgressions against the 10 commandments of God (Christian) and this is not one...hehe and I don't feel bad about blowing a gig like this. I'd do it again. I have a good reputation for responsibility and reliabiltiy and won't let a motley group of fools ruin it. Why then was I with them you might ask? Because of my reputation. I was asked to fill in by a friend of a friend when their previous bassist quit.

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

"Sometimes" that might be a mortal sin. Other times it might just be prudence. I've never actually "not showed up at a gig for no good reason". However, there have been one or two times when I've not shown up at a gig for a very good reason (once when I fell off a loft and broke my hand in six places, another when my ex had a near-death experience, another when my plane that was supposed to go to LA ended up in Hawaii, rare situations like that). On the other hand, there have been "many" times when I've shown up at a gig and then left again. My band does that all the time when we run into a questionable house that insists on foisting their sound guy on us. In cases like that, we use "our" guy or we don't play, it's that simple. Only once has that ever caused a problem, 'cause we always let people know about that policy well ahead of time. But once, back in '95 or so, we did run into this total jerk bar owner that threatened to blacklist us. As we left the place with our gear, the guy ran after us shouting "you'll never play in this town again". Yeah right. What really happened is, we told all of our friends not to play there 'cause the owner was such an idiot. He went out of business and closed his doors not three months later. And I have a bunch of fellow musician friends that also don't let club owners push them around. If you let that happen, it may be suicide of a different sort. For one thing, there's no such thing as a "blacklist" in this town (there's too much competition, both in terms of musicianship and in terms of venues). For another, there are "professional" club owners and then there are compleat jerks, and it's important to distinguish the two if you hope to have fun over the longer term of your musical career. And finally, if I ever flaked out of a real gig my band members would string me up by the balls (after they'd drawn and quartered my carcass), and that alone is enough of a deterrent to nip any vegetation in the bud. I'd rather be blacklisted by a thousand club owners than have to face the wrath of one irate drummer!

9. 2 weeks before our gig on Nov I quit the band. Guitarist being a jackass. However he convinced me it was unfair on the organisers, who were doing us a huge favour anyway. So we made peace and played a pretty good show.

he's still a bit touchy when i tell him/ even just ask him, if he has practised, but we're getting better. new material just comes slowly.

hey! gotta show tonight.. :smug:

10. SMASH:
    Thanks again for the kind words!
    Yeah, Kate is a babe for sure!
    I did play Vancouver many times on tour with VR, cool place! :hyper:

11. I've missed a gig because I didn't know when it was.

I was in a band that pulled out of a show at the last minute.

I felt bad about missing the gig.

I didn't really feel bad about pulling out at the last minute. That was more of a festival thing, there were plenty of bands to fill in. My band at the time was a pop/punk (Green Day-ish) sort of band. The show was a punk thing. Real punk thing (35 year old toothless guys who haven't showered since "Damaged" was released). We shouldn't have been on that bill anyway.

As far as:
    Why not tell them you were done, rather than let them think you were going to be there for the third/last show? That wasn't cool. Who cares how much they suck, you told them you'd be there, who's fault is that?

12. I had a drummer who blew off a gig but to be fair, he did tell us he wasn't going to play at that club long before we booked it. The guitarist booked it anyway though and we just hoped that he'd do it. It wasn't even a bad club. It was kind of a dive but it wasn't that bad. We got some guy to come and do it at the last minute but he wasn't that good. Haha, what a horrible gig that was. Plus, it was one of those gigs where we were the only band and had to play 3 sets.

- Dave

13. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ah, sweet memories...

My old rock band had a singer/guitarist who felt he was destined for stardom and we (me, guitarist and drummer) were holding him back. So, after a bunch of BS talks with AR dudes and producers (not anybody I would ever trust!), he tells us at practice that "after this next show, I'm gonna go my own way". The three of us played it cool, didn't act too annoyed....the day of the gig came, and none of us showed. (and we didn't even coordinate it!). Apparently it was a pretty big crowd as well, so Mr. BigShot sucked it up and performed solo (good for him, gotta hand it to him).

.....he tried to blacklist me for quite a while, but somehow a mutual acquaintance squeezed my phone number from him for an audition two days later!

Proud? No, but I don't regret it either!

14. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Actually, I did blow a gig once. Band sprung upon me that we had a show the next day, after getting out of the club at 3 am the night before. Not the first, or even the third time they pulled it, either.

Spent a casual afternoon at six flags w/ the woman instead. No regrets.

Gigging is cool and all, but bassists are real people too. If you don't enjoy it, and it's not your livelyhood, don't feel obligated to take sh#t for another night of hating your bandmates, club owner, etc. Get out and be normal for a night instead.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    mmmmmm ... bad karma.

16. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    blew off practice but never a gig. at least with a gig you get paid to deal with bullshyte.

17. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have never blown off a gig either, I would feel lame if I did that. The music world seems to be so small, word does get around. I can remember playing a gig with a band that was so sucky, people were laughing at the lead singer. He looked like a jim Morrison reject with an eighties flock of seagulls haircut. I wanted to finish playing on the side of the stage; After the show I quit the band. Now when I go to jam with people for the first time, I listen to the little vioce in my head when it says " these guys suck, RUN!". :D

18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

again, gotta agree with Munjibunga .... this town is so small , that kind of news spreads fast . { last thing i need is bad press }

i have , of course , had gigs i'm not proud of , but i wouldn't back out at the last second , unless sickness or death prevented my showing up .

acutally , i did miss half of a gig once , but the situation required stitches in my scalp . i got hit on the head with champagne bottle during the first set ...but i came back for the fourth set . { i was sitting in for someone , it wasn't even my regular band !! }
    :bassist: