Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone had a chance to try the new SWR Workingpro heads??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oversoul, Jan 29, 2005.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Somehow I feel this will be one a "0 reply" thread, but hey, if it aint on TB its nowhere to be asked!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I doubt they're even on the street yet. Usually it takes the manufacturers six months to a year to get them into the stores after NAMM.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

They are in stock @ Musician's Friend

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

They are blowing out the Workingman's stuff I believe to replace it with the Working Pro line. I could be wrong...

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    No, you have it right.

What kills me is that FMIC still seems to be doing what Don Randall used to have fits over in Leo's day: Hit the tradeshows with a new line that generates a lot of enthusiasm, but isn't ready for distribution until after everyone's lost most of their interest.

Distribution to your local GC will probably be slow and with poor selection, as they usually have with other stuff from FMIC.

Example: Months after all the hype & buzz over the Dirnt bass has died down to nothing, my GC finally gets them - five identical black ones. There's something wrong with the way GC distributes FMIC product. Much of it they will not carry at all and the rest seems to be big clots of identical, duplicate stock instead of an even example of a particular line or of available colors & options. :confused:

I think that the "Working Pro" stuff will be coming from Fender's Ensenada plant, but I haven't confirmed this.

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    There was always something about the "Workingman" name that never sounded right to me. What does it mean? Is it for someone who works at something else and only screws around with the bass? Is it the amp for the middle class? Even if I was only a bass wanker I wouldn't want to see that name on my gear. And now it's "Working Pro". Maybe it is the word "Work" that rubs me the wrong way, I don't know. They should have come up with something else. :meh:

8. clearskies2

clearskies2

Jan 11, 2005
    chicago,IL
    That is a silly confusing name and their marketing dept should have thought that out. It's like the professional series is for the upper crust, the working pro series is for the blue collar, ordinary, average guy, and the workingman series is for the has been, blue collar, or unemployed guy who can't afford or doesn't deserve to play through the professional series. Huh?

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Where does that leave the LA series then?
    [Cartman singing voice]In the ghetto?[/Cartman singing voice]
    :smug:

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i was never a huge fan of the workingman's series except for the wm-12 and wm-15 combos.

the name "working pro" definitely seems a bit silly, is the "professional" or whatever they call the top of the line stuff for professionals who no longer gig? :p

i kinda figured they were going to have the three lines going at once, maybe not.

the WM stuff was to compete with the lower priced competition, and IMO, more than likley you were probably paying too much for something just because of the SWR name.

i was a big fan of SWR enginering and love the products such as the sm-900, the goliath 1 and 2 cabs and the goliath jr 1 and 2, the henry and hank jr cabs, the grand prix, the bassic 350, and my electric blue head. to me this is all classic SWR

I just havent been as impressed by the goliath 3, the new "texas style bar grille" (ick) chrome heads (double ick) the mo' series, the LA series, and the subwave feature and x series heads. even before FMIC took over i thought they were going downhill, trying to stuff too many features in their heads and releasing the 3 series of goliath cabs as a "look we have front vented cabinets too" marketing ploy.