1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone had their headtock painted?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by greeningep, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Hey, I was wondering where I could go to get my headstock painted to match the color of my body. Has anyone done this? Also I would want to re-apply a new Fender decal. Should that be done during the process and then a clear coat over it or something? Or can I just apply that after it has been painted? I guess what I really want to know is what type of places offer this type of service? Thanks.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What color is your bass? To get a perfect match, both the neck and body should be painted at the same time to ensure that they come from the same batch and are the exact same shade.

Other than that, anyone with a spray gun and a bit of experience can do it. Fender decals are done with a clearcoat over the decal, but were applied on top of the clearcoat way back in the day.

3. UncleNuzzy

UncleNuzzy

Dec 16, 2006
    CT
    Well, i don't know if this helps you at all, but i recently got my bass painted white flake, with a custom pickguard (gold flake) and the headstock painted gold flake- had a guy at my work do it, came out gorgeous, i will post pictures of the result.

But, yes, i got my headstock painted. even if you wanted to paint it a different color than the body, like i did, you could and it would contrast nicely in my opinion- All this cost only $100 bucks, ill post pictures as soon as i can. Don't always look to a company, i had a talented friend do mine at a nice price

edit: will post pictures as soon as i find the digital camera.

4. Thanks for your replies. The bass I would like to get this done on is Olympic White...that can't be too hard to match, or at least get pretty close. Now that I think about it, my cousin could probably do this for me...I'll have to post pictures whenever I get this done.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Oly white is one of the harder colors to match. I have three Oly white basses, none of which are the same color. Even when two are Fenders made in 2002. They yellow at different rates, and that's the hard part to match ;)