Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone heard from Chris (Mad Subwoofer)???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tecx, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    So has anyone heard from him?.. I havn't seen him online in months, and he hasn't responded to my e-mails...

Alex

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Something will occasionally remind me of him and I wonder where he is. Hmmm...

brad cook

3. I mailed him something almost a year ago, but I haven't seen any posts from him since shortly after that.

Mike :confused:

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    did you mail him anthrax?

:bag:

5. The only two letters that come to mind right now are:

Y, U !!! :p

Mike :D

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I am worried... Chris and I are pretty good pals, and I havn't heard from him either... :(

Alex

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Could you find him through his band? Pacific Frontal System, or something like that? I remeber thinking he was quite good, but I sort of lost track of his music.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I thought it was called Live Dub Transmissions...either I'm wrong or Bliss has been watching The Weather Channel too much.

brad cook

9. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Pacific Frontal System is the name...

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh ok...my bad... I have no idea where I got Live Dub Transmissions.

brad cook

11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    That is the header or discription chris gave of it...

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I do watch "storm stories" every once in a while. -Just watched one on a hurricane that hit Galveston. City officials tried to bury the dead at sea and they kept washing ashore as they were not weighted correctly.

14. I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but a recent picture of a DOD FX25 on TB started me thinking about Mad Subwoofer. His posts here turned me on to that box, as well as a numerous other dub-related things. After a quick Yahoo search I found this:

http://www.myspace.com/dubtet

The description mentions Pacific Frontal System and the death of bassist Chris Buck in 2004. Sad sad sad.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's too bad. RIP, dude.:(

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Oh man. What a bummer. That's some cool stuff on that dubtet page too. :(

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That IS a bummer man. :( I just thought of Mad Sub just two days ago and again wondered what ever became of him. I wonder how it happened...

bc

18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I obviously joined after his passing but like pretty much everyone else here I had no idea.

But I read quite a number of his posts on effects and found links to his music which I really dug. I actually hoped he would start posting again.

R.I.P. man.

19. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Wondering if he'd ever gotten 'round to posting again, I was looking him up just a couple weeks ago which is when I subscribed to this thread in case any news would come forth. Be careful what you wish for?

Thanks for the info. R.I.P.

20. T Bassman

T Bassman tysonmaiko.com Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Vulcan, AB, Canada
    Wow I just found this thread. Chris was a very close friend of mine back in the early 2000's. Really innovative and inspired player, and a wonderful human in every way.
    Just to clear the air as far as what happened to Chris, heres a brief synopsis of what happened. Its been years now, so forgive me if all the details arent all crystal clear, but this is as best I recall how things went down.

When I first met Chris in the mid 90's, he was an entrepreneur involved in a very successful business, and lived a pretty squeaky clean life apart from a perchance for great craft beer (way ahead of his time, his fave was the Pike Place Mrkt IPA from Seattle) and high end Tequilas.

Somewhere along the line he began experimenting with some hard drugs, and kinda dissapeared from the scene and from many friends for a while (we were living in different cities at this point, so I wasnt really hanging with him like I did when we were buds in the same town, and had no idea. Many didnt). After a while a got a call out of the blue from him, FROM REHAB!

It was wild, he explained the rollercoaster he had been on with the substance abuse and isolation, and that he had almost completed his stint there and was excited to get out, reconnect, and get his life back on track. I was so stoked for him, offered any support and we made plans hang out as soon as he was out. Within a week or two of discharging from the Treatment Centre, Chris had made the choice to experiment with some substances again, no doubt feeling more confident, healthy and in control again. A day later I got the call that Chris had passed away do to an overdose.

I hope its not out of line telling this story, and I mean only to create closure for anyone else who was close with him. I certainly mean no disrespect, and dont mean to bring up tragic events without consideration. His death was a real tough one for many in the Victoria BC music scene. It was definitely a cautionary tale for me, and changed my life forever. I still think of him every time I spin any Funkadelic or Jah Wobble stuff. He was an absolute bass monster and master of all things 'pedal' related. Juan Alderete would have loved this guy......RIP Chris( Mad Subwoofer)