Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone heard of Celinder?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Apr 2, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I like what I see on their site but has anyone tried one? Preferably the vintage P. How do they compare to Mike Lull or other luthierbuilt Fender clones?

2. Artist like the following endorse Celinder in one way or the other:
    Me'Shell NdegéOcello, Sekou Bunch, Oskar Cartaya, Reggie McBride, Wayman Tisdale, Victor Bailey, Byron Miller, Tom Barney and Marcus Miller

A shop in holland called bassmatters(.nl) picked them up at Namm 2001, they are quite pricy though.

A P vintage 4: eur. 2640

Sorry that's all i know.

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Bassplayer magazine did a review of the Celinder J Vintage 5 in their october 2000 issue. Got a pretty good review too!

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Jock, if you do a search here on TB.com you will find that I've asked this question several times. I didn't get too many replies.

The info that I got was that they are very much in the same vein as the earlier Fenders. Rawn Randall, of R2 Musical, swears by them and says that they would blow my Sadowsky out of the water. I'm not too sure about that since I think my Sadowsky is very close to a most perfect bass for me.

Good luck on your search for more info. I'm sorry that I couldn't be more help.

5. Well Jocke, as you know, I've heard of Celinders, still I don't think I've actually heard one (I saw someone playing a J-style one on Danish television, but the bas wasn't very audible in the mix :(). Nor have I played a Celinder msyelf, but if they're as good as they are expensive they must be really good. And according to LA Bass Exchange, they're brilliant. Here's what they have to say:

"Celinder P Update
    I can't say enough good things about the Celinder basses. This is the bomb P Bass! This instrument has the fattest bottom end in the world - pure THUMP. With their custom 2 band preamp you can dial in all the clarity you could want or roll it all off for vintage madness. You will be hard pressed to tell me that you've ever played an instrument with better action! With Jazz Bass spacing at the nut this bass is a joy to play. It just feels right. Not to mention that the Figured Maple neck looks great too! What more can I say about this bass? Graphite reinforced neck, hand carved body and neck, Ceramic Pickups, Custom Celinder Pre-Amp...this is BASS.
    Specs: Danish Ash body with Cherry Sunburst finish and White Pearloid pickguard, Figured Maple neck, Custom Celinder Pickups, 2 band preamp, and Bridge, Chrome Hardware" (quoted from http://www.bassexchange.com/ , click on "basses" and there's the Celinder at the top of the page)

Don't blame me for the GAS. ;)

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    GAS!!! How much can I get for a pair of kidneys?:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

7. I played a couple Celinders at the LA Bass Exchange in my search for my ultimate 5 string. They were nice basses, but I didn't think they were anything special. The ones I played were pretty average, especially for the price. They also carried F-Basses and Hanewinckel, both of which I thought was a much better bass than the Celinder.

For me, Sadowsky became the best choice in the areas of tone, playability and workmanship.

Jeff

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A Celinder? Sure, it's a long, round tube. :D

Seriously, I've only seen one and it looked pretty cool. Interesting variation of a Jazz bass.