Has anyone heard of El Degas basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rand0m32, Nov 24, 2004.

1. rand0m32

Sep 19, 2003
    I recently came across an oldish 70's looking bass in a pawn shop. It had a black body, pickguard, maple neck and fingerboard. It seemed pretty good and was priced around $150. I'm sure the company no longer exists, but i was just wondering if anyone could give me any information about these basses, whether they are total crap or just ok.

Thanks alot, any help is appreciated.
  2. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
  3. rand0m32

Sep 19, 2003
    yeah stumbled across those, but the author seems to have the same problem as i had. noone seems to know anything about these mystery basses. thanks for your help though, i appreciate it.
  4. Contrapuntal

Mar 1, 2004
    I remember El Degas basses. They made affordable copies of Rickenbackers and other brand name guitars. The first bass I ever played was a cream coloured Ricky that I rented in the late 70s. As for quality, probably the same as buying a Squier today.
  5. rand0m32

Sep 19, 2003
    so do you think getting one for $150 would be worth it, or would it just fall apart like a squier... i was thinking of getting one to fix up a bit. add a new bridge, some EMG select pickups...the reason im doing this is only because it looks so much like a 70's precision bass and the real thing is much more out of my price range.
  6. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    They were often made substantially, (neck included, ) out of softwoods. The two that I've seen had pine necks.

They're curiosities, to be sure, and OK. Much like a Samick is OK. Good for a beater bass. But it's likely not gonna be a classic "pawn shop fantasy" story.
  7. rand0m32

Sep 19, 2003
    so worth it to supe up or should i stop dreaming?
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I wouldn't call EMG Selects suping up. They're pretty junky pickups -- if you're going to do any hotrodding, don't spend $20 bucks new on pickups. You can find some pretty good deals, but don't cheap out on the electronics.
  9. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    It'd probably be a fun enough bass to frig around with. And if it feels good, and looks good, and you're planning on changing the pups, (with EMG SELECTS?!?) then hey, what more could you ask for?

The thing's probably 20+ years old at this point, so if the neck isn't fargged by now, it'll probably be fine.

But basically, all you can ask is, is it worth $150 TO YOU?
  10. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I bought a Degas a couple of years ago for $50 just to fool around with. It had a maple neck, rosewood board, some kind of hardwood body (never did figure out what wood). The fingerboard had a couple of bad humps in it - so bad that even with the action set high it was really unplayable.

The tuners were pretty bad, and the pickups were awful - highly microphonic and distorted badly when the volume was turned up.

So I pulled the frets, levelled the board, laid in some maple lines and changed the pickup. Just for fun I strung it with a low B string (BEAD) and ended up with a pretty wicked sounding LOW fretless. In the end it was a decent bass.
  11. rand0m32

Sep 19, 2003

Oh man,i just went to try out the bass and i realized that it wasnt even an El Degas, it was an El Torres...has anyone ever heard of THOSE?