1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone heard of these basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Well, his strat type guitars remind me of the line about polishing a turd...

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Why?

3. The quality of the tuners, other hardware and sunburst job indicate that the basic guitar would probably retail for about $79 to at most $99.

4. would this be a good project bass?

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    the pics look like reflections in a circus funhouse mirror.

sorry, i didnt have any valuable information to pony up.

6. Looks good, but I would completely replace the electronics and hardware, and probably get a fret job as well.

7. bump

8. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    it doesn't really have any identifying marks on which to bass any relevant information, other than it is from japan, so be wary.

9. well has anyone ever bought one? i just wanna have an idea of what im getting myself into. i mean, it seems like a good deal, even if i replace all the hardware and electronics. the body just looks beautiful, i just wanna make sure it isnt a scam or something. i cant find anything anywhere on these basses, and i dont wanna get ripped off. :help:

10. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    If you like the body, go with a Peavey Grind bass. At least with that one, you'll know where you stand.

[​IMG]

11. +1

Peace,
    S

12. lola99

lola99

Jan 28, 2006
  13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I just read that stuff. Yeah, if you have any thoughts of buying one of those, you better read the links.
    Ouch. Not good. Really, really not good.

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    While the feedback leaves no doubt there are consistently big and bad problems, you also have to wonder why a person would buy multiple guitars over a few day span - spending 2K total. That's big bucks for a big unknown. How about getting one and determining it's a winner first? The guy must have discretionary funds coming out of every orifice.

15. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong

... uh ... Taiwan is not in Japan ... and they don't speak Japanese there either :rollno:

We've lived in Hong Kong for 11 years, and we still get this question (not just from the States but from Europe and the Mid-East) .... "Are your children learning Japanese?" :scowl:

My guess is that Tony Tsai is a Taiwanese Luthier that makes traditional Chinese instruments (the Taiwanese are probably the Chinese most aware of tradition). His eBay shop has 790 items, and a lot of them look like instruments I see in shops around here... he is showing just the Western instruments on eBay

I have no idea whether they would be good or not. Some of the instruments from China are quite good, but most are very mediocre in tone, woodwork, etc.

16. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I looked at the pictures on http://www.amobile.com/ ... the wood in these basses is like the wood in cheap Chinese furniture. Same color, same bad workmanship. And they shrink and warp terribly. You see a lot of furniture like this all over China, and one of the first things you learn is not to buy it. If you want Asian furniture, you go to Thailand, Malaysia or Indonesia where they have decent hardwoods. Never China

17. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    $199 is not a horrible price to pay for a 5 string that looks that good. I would get it regardless, you can waste $199 on a date with a chick you'll never want to see again, at least this bass will hang around awhile and look good. It can't sound that bad.

18. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Bad basses can be bad on many dimensions. For example, the tuners can unwind (good ones friction lock); the knobs can fall out of the wood; the neck can be warped. $199 is not much, but you can go another $100 and get a very competent bass from Dean, or maybe Yamaha or Ibanez.

19. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    +1.

Spend a bit more, and get something local that you can put your mitts on.

I don't live in the US, but here in Canada, when you get something from overseas, you're hit with an import tax/duty. I'm guessing in the US, it's the same, so it really isn't just $199 either.