Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

has anyone heard of this amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Lurker, Jul 20, 2005.

1. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I recently acquired an old Fender tube amp; appears to be a guitar head, the only name on the thing seems to be '140.' It has 4x6L6 tubes and is apparantly rated 140 watts. From what I've gathered it was only made in 1980. Other than that, I've been unable to find anything on it..... has anyone heard of these things, or know anything about it?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The Fender Field Guide has a few details: http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/index.html

I have worked on the other amps in that series, the 30 and the 75. The 75 had a lot of stability problems in the Lead channel, but could sound very good when sorted out. I own a Fender 30, which is a great amp now that I've modfied it a bit. The 140 looks like it shares some features with the Super Twin, another problem child from that era. I'm sure your amp can be made into something cool for guitar if you don't dig it in its present form. I couldn't readily find a schematic for it though.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could make a really nice bass head out of that amp. Before you mess with it, try posting to the Fender Discussion Page and see what the guys there know about it.

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    many thanks!!! My knowledge of Fender amps is limited.... what do you mean by stability issues on the lead channel?

Once again, thanks!