Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone heard or done biz with Sonicbids?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lbanks, Aug 13, 2004.

1. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Checking it out for a friend; I think it a scam or a waste money.
    www.sonicbids.com

2. ge9375

ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    I've done it for two bands. This is a really old thread, but I'll be happy to follow up with any specific questions.

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    It was used in my old band. The only thing that was ever offered/accepted was declined by the band leader (small spot on a tour).

I don't think it's a scam, but I do think that there better ways to invest your money in booking and promoting your band.

$.02

4. Justin Goldberg really seems to recommend them in this book The Ultimate Survival Guide to the New Music Industry

5. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I am bumping this very old thread, as it seems a lot of the festivals are now using Sonicbids as their application process. SXSW is one of them. I feel like it has some credibility on the surface.

That said, I signed us up for it a little while ago, and I have submitted 6 or 7 press kit applications for between $5 and $20 each. A couple of these were for festivals taking place next year; I don't expect to have heard anything back yet. A couple others are for local clubs that advertise for bands in Sonicbids. So far I have received bubkis by way of response. Absolute radio silence.

So I have two questions -

1. Is anyone having a good experience with Sonicbids now?
    2. Who is getting these "submission fees"? If it is Sonicbids, I should think they would want to encourage some kind of dialogue between the bands and the people to whom they submit EPKs. The more I experience what I have experienced thus far, the less I want to use this tool. If it is the people who issue the "advertisements" (the clubs and promoters), then I hereby declare the whole thing to be so much horse-pucky.

6. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    I've seen a ton of fests and venues asking for SonicBids EPK submission lately.

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    My last band used it. It seems to be a standard for events/venues that deal with lots of bands. It's a convenient way to check all the acts in one place, imo.

We already had it, but needed it for Chicks Rockfest, and maybe even MPMF in Cincinnati.

8. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    As a nice universally recognized EPK site it is just fine and reasonably priced. That being said, don't submit to anything through them unless it is the only avenue open, as it is a waste of money. The slots offered to those sonicbids submissions are side-stage/third tier gigs that rarely, if ever, pay anything or offer any actual worthwhile exposure. You know, the kind of gigs aborgman plays for free.

Request permission to send directly from the event/tour, and then refer them to your sonicbids page.

9. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    The above post came while I was typing. Los Blancos got offered a slot at MPMF the first 6 months we were on sonic bids. They offered us a second stage set, for 30 minutes, for no money, on about 4 weeks notice. There was even a chance we wouldn't get to play at all.

Flattering they would invite us to come from so far away, and midpoint is a great fest, but what real working band can do a deal like that? If you are actually a working gig you are booked WAY more than a month in advance. Heck, I have firm tour dates for next August already, lol.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Old thread bump/update:

We used Sonicbids to apply to the South Park Music Tour and it was a good experience. Granted, the fest itself was run by a great bunch of folks who really knew what they were doing, but our first experience with Sonicbids was a good one, FWIW.

11. It's not too expensive and of decent value. I think we got into the Amplify Music Festival in Vegas a year ago thanks to Sonicbids. Also, I see that Jagermeister is asking that Sonicbids EPKs be sent instead of traditional Press Kits. We were fortunate that we already had an "in" at Jager.

12. My band uses it, it got us a showcase at the IndieGrrl conference in August, and play on a few internet radio stations.

13. corradoc

corradoc Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New York City
    We've been using it, but the only things that's come if it are local venue gigs that we could've booked without them. Most 'festivals' we've applied for, we just never hear back from. Complete wast of money IMHO. The only reason I haven't canceled it yet is we've got multiple applications for gigs/festivals pending and for $5/month, I'd hate to axe the service a day short.....

14. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

+1 to the above experience. I think we have let our membership lapse.

15. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yep, my experience remains the same with Sonicbids. Absolutely no response or activity from the opportunities we have submitted using the tool. At this point, it is essentially a $25/year electronic press kit service, and the electronic press kit is merely adequate.

I do like that you can embed the Sonicbids calendar into other web pages - that saves me from having to maintain our calendar in more than one place (although MySpace will not let me embed it on our page there).

As someone said above, you might get a gig through Sonicbids that you well could have gotten without it. I think I will keep it around, but only because some festivals require it for submission. But even in those cases, you have to do all the other things you normally would have done to receive consideration, and the Sonicbids submission is just a formality.

I do not have, not would recommend anyone else have, confidence that Sonicbids is a replacement for old fashioned networking and phone calls.