Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone here ever bought one of those Time/Life collections?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Saturday morning, I'm flipping channels on my TV and one of those Time/Life Records ads, Specifically, the R&B Collection. What gets me is that they keep showing the James Brown, Little Richard (Not really R&B, but who's complaining?), Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Motown classics, not to mention a bunch of one-hit wonder songs, original versions songs I only heard covered by the Beatles, and dagummit, I'm tempted. (Mind you, they haven't quoted the price yet.)

Finally, they quoted the price: 4 installments of $29.99 on 8 CDs plus a bonus CD.

Anyway, has anyone ever sprung for one of these collections, and if so, how worth it is it?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Check www.allmusic.com

They will most likely have it reviewed. Lord know's they have almost every single major label released album EVER, not to mention the not so major label stuff. If it exists, it's in there somewhere.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Big Wheel, back in the day when I was a teenager...actually the late 50's and early 60s, R&B had a different meaning than now. We called it rhythm and blues and it referred to a wide range of music, everything from Aretha Franklin and Etta James to James Brown and even some MoTown.

R&B now is somewhat different than what we heard back then. Now it is more romantic, less blues inflected. Now it is what is often heard on BET. When I think R&B now, I think of Aaliyah and other artists like her...Toni Braxton, for example.

I have never bought a Time-Life Collection, but have seriously considered their Christmas collection, their blues collection and their jazz collection. As it turns out, I have most of the albums that contain the blues songs in the T/L collection and most of the Christmas songs.

Time/Life has a web site that tells you every collection they sell, plus every record in each collection. The advantage of going there is that you can purchase individual CDs separately and not have to buy every one in the collection if some of the CDs don't offer much of interest. That is what I may do with the jazz collection, because I don't care for a lot of the selections.

In fact, I even considered seeing what artists they chose that I liked and just buy entire CDs of those artists on my own.

Check:

http://www.timelife.com

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    James Brown & Little Richard aren't R&B?! :confused:

5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The quotation in parentheses refered only to Little Richard, who I consider to be more of a Rock and Roll guy, like Chuck Berry.

James Brown had nothing to with it.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Chuck Berry ain't R&B?!

Just bustin' yer chops, BW! ;)
    BTW, I don't recall buying too many CompilationSets, per se...I do have the FIRST Motown box(4 cds); bought it cheap from BMG or Columbia House.

7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Oh, I have the first Motown Compilation. And a CD from the second compilation I bought used.

I still plan to buy the "Back to Mono" Phil Spector box set, the Doo-Wop and the Aldon Music (maybe) sets.

And Jim, if you wanna bust my chops, you gotta get in line and take a number. :p