Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone here ever changed their music style drastically?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Doryan, Sep 13, 2002.

1. I played (tried to) metal bass for 3 years now, and some say it works out for me.

But I just had a opportunity to form a fusion band. Wich is a style that I became interested in by being a bassist, and jazz also. And I love playing fretless, wich I can't apply in metal.

I was wondering: did anyone else changed drasticly to another style ? How did that work out ?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been doing metal for about 5 years, ranging from full throttle death metal to crappy Nu-Metal (guess which one came first?) and now I'm starting to do funk stuff.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I started out in heavy metal cover bands, went to original nu-metal/hardcore then moved on to blues covers. I feel each change brought me much that was new, refreshing and challenging. Each style was fun for its own reasons. It took time to "get into" blues, but I wouldn't trade that experience for the world.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well, I enjoy doing styles of music where I can move away from doing root notes and doubling guitar lines. I really enjoy playing blues, classic rock, country, oldies, latin, swing, funk, soul, R@B ect. But last week, I decided to audition for a Nu-metal band. I'm not a huge fan of the music. I dig some Godsmack, Static-x, Puddle of Mudd, and Sevendust, but beyond that, I never really paid much attention to it. I decided to go audition cause I thought maybe I would enjoy playing it. Besides, I would have had a chance to probaly do this as a full time job with the goals of the other guys in the band. Well, after the first 5 songs, I decided that this style of music wasn't for me. I felt I didn't have room to fully express myself on my instrument (I'm not saying I want to be wanking off in every song, but I pretty much had to play roots on most of the songs) besides, I felt that I wasn't being fair to myself or the other guys playing music that I have no emotional connection to, and probaly never will. I politley said to the guys that I decided to come down to give it a try and see if I would like playing that kind of music, but I found out that it definatley isn't for me. I wished them luck on finding the right bassist and left glad that I came and gave it a shot, now realizing more about myself in what I want to accomplish in music.

Now I have an audition in the coming week, for the most popular Blues/Classic Rock band in my area. Even if I don't get the gig, it's going to be an honor just to stand on the same stage with them. (I'm auditioning at a bar they play at every week) I'm just looking forward to playing, since I haven't played in front of people in a very long time.

5. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Here's a switch I did in the course of one year:

I went from an original/cover progressive metal band to a Chicago push-style Polish polka band!

How was the transition? Not too bad-I love both styles of music in addition to all of my years of music training(I have two music performance degrees). Musically, it was easy. It's the different culture that you're exposed too which can make it difficult. Going from playing smoky bars with the average age about 20 to playing outside under big tents with the average age around 60 can be quite a culture shock.

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    blink182 style punk---->rock (classic and newer as well)---->metal----->jazz

I still do a bit of each.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    every day.... swing to funk to fusion to country to metal to celtic folk to classic rock to whatever

8. As a freelancer, I play in the following genres;
    Latin
    Irish
    Blues
    Country
    Classic rock
    Classic jazz/swing
    Rockabilly
    50s to 90s pop
    Have even done a Jewish gig!

However, I'm not a total slut, I dont like any form of metal, rap, or what is mistakenly called r'nb these days.