Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone here ever gotten a really STUPID traffic ticket?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Last night I had to run to the store to get some bleach. I live on a 1 way street right on the corner. So sometimes when there is no traffic I take a quick turn becase my driveway is no more them 15 feet from the corner. It's quicker then going all the way around and comming back up the street. Well last night a cop happened to be parked down the steet and saw me and rushed down and busted me right in my own driveway. (Makes me wonder where the police were when someone was breaking into my car last week to steal my CD's..........)

Has anyone else ever done something dumb to get a ticket that you just wanted to kick youself in the face after for being a moron?

Also, I have no money to pay this. I have never gotten a ticket before so I don't know how it works. What kind of payment plans do they offer and/or where can you can get a loan to pay it off? I have 13$ in my bank account and I don't own credit cards.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'm not sure how breaking the law in the way you did is any more or less stupid than breaking the law in some other way (ie knowingly speeding etc). Think of the ticket as the "I saved myself 1 minute a day licence". All the times you saved yourself that minute driving around the block? Well, now you gotta pay for it! :D

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I received a ticket from a police officer for going 32 in a 30. Better yet, he didn't use his radar and he didn't pace me. He said he could just "tell" I was going 32 instead of 30. Even better still, this guy had only been on the force for 2 years. To add insult to injury, he gave me a speech about killing children with my reckless driving. He called me "son" at least 10 times during the speech, which was funny because he was at least 7 years my junior.

It was the only ticket I have ever contested. The judge laughed, dismissed the case and admonished the officer for writing "worthless tickets." I was apparently the 5th person to receive a ticket from this officer in which the speed was less than 5 mph over the limit.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Hopefully, that guy isn't an officer any more. Pulling crap like that, it's amazing he made it to 2 years. Douches in every profession I guess.

Bad Brains, most Courts will take "payments" after you plead or are convicted. They may hold on to your driver's license until the ticket is paid off though. Also, I happen to know the Police were on the way to your house when your CDs were being stolen, but some dumbass turned the wrong way up a one way street and they had to stop him and didn't make it to your house on time to stop the theft.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i got a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt.

i wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    In CT you have about a week to send a check in. Or you can plead not guilty, in which case you'll be issued a summonce and a court date where you can dispute the ticket. If you dont pay or plead not guilty by the date on the ticket, then you could get your liscence suspended.

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Actually, he is. I inquired about him when I went through the citizens police academy last year. The officers there told me he was still with the force. Judging by their tone, he isn't winning any popularity contests within their ranks. I wanted the scoop, but they didn't offer and I didn't ask.

Off topic, but I really enjoyed the citizens police academy. Do many other police agencies offer this program?

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Our local Sherrif's Dept. did it a few years ago. Around here at least, it's not real common.

9. Did you call in the theft? If you did (or someone else on your block with a similar experience), then perhaps that's why they were on your street. At any rate....don't break the law....it's worked wonders for me.

Mike

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I've always wondered what people like you do; whether you go all the way around the block or just take the shortcut.

11. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    apparently, he takes the shortcut.

and it's illegal.

so i guess it's not so stupid after all.

12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I wonder if I could just plead not guilty and get the court date, then the day of court just plead guilty and pay the ticket.

I will have money in a few weeks when my taxes come back, until then i'm dead broke.

13. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I didn't mean the ticket was stupid, I meant what I did was stupid. I mean what were the chances of a cop sitting right there anyways? Gambling really doesn't pay.

14. I was coming back from the 2004 Coachella festival on I-10. A California Highway Patrol cruiser came barrelling up the highway behind me, lights and sirens blazing, passed me, and then started doing a bizarre weaving maneuver. I had never seen anything like this, and in half-dehydrated state I decided to ask the cop what was going on. I pulled up alongside the police cruiser, rolled down my window, and a cop leaned out the passenger-side window of the cruiser and shouted at me, "Get back!" It turns out there was an accident up ahead and the cop was running a "break" in order to slow down traffic to allow the Freeway Service Patrol to clear it.

Later, the cop pulled me over and said that I had failed to provide adequate clearance between myself and an emergency vehicle. The cost: $185. :bawl:

15. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    It doesn't really work like that.

From what I've heard (I've never personally fought a ticket though). A lot of time the officer who wrote the ticket doesn't show up for the court date, when you plead not guilty. But in the event that he does I'd suggest having a solid argument ready. You can't take it back after you plead not guilty.

I'd just borrow the $ from somoeone and pay it off.

16. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Well one cop pulled me over, then left and the other cop came up and said the other officer issued you this ticket.
    I don't know how I would fight the ticket, going wrong way on a one way street is pretty straight foward.

Couldn't I plead "not guilty" on the basis of not having money to pay this moment? I don't have anyone I can borrow money from. The only person I know here is my roomate and he's more broke then I am (plus I already owe him money for utilities).

I have never dealt with a ticket so I don't really know. But surley they cannot expect me to pay with money I don't have. Don't they have payment options, like how you deal with credit card payments?

17. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    indeed it doesn't. there is the dumbest place to have a stop sign in my neighborhood. everyone always runs it. i usually don't go that way, but needless to say, the one time i do, there is a cop all the way down the road who sees it.

of course i get pulled over, but luckily since i am part of the the FD in my town, he reduced it to the said ticket earlier.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I came out of a 7-11 a few months ago, and gave a head nod to a police officer sitting in his car in the parking lot taking a break. Apparently, his break ended right when I got in my truck. This is why....

I hopped in my truck, and started to pull out. As I reached for my seat belt, I looked down the road and saw a long line of cars coming toward me. To avoid being stuck behind all of those cars, I pulled out. After I pulled out into the street, I snapped my seat belt on. The officer I gave the head nod to not two minutes ago was behind me, and flipped on his lights as I snapped my seat belt on. He wrote me up for no seat belt. I didn't even try to argue. How could I? Seat belts save lives, I can't argue with that. I did something stupid by not putting mine on before I even started my truck.

-Mike

19. Once, my car was broken and at the garage for repair and had a replacement car. And I just went to school as usual and forgot i didnt have a parking pass on the other car and got a ticket because i was not allowed in the parking lot.

I tryed contesting the ticket by showing them i had paid for the right to leave my car there, but they refused itand I had to pay :(

That was stupid because i learned later that i could have just been to the school and ask for another parking pass for the other car and they would have given me one :(

20. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well, in that case I hope that you have a few extra dollars to add in there for court costs. Talking to a judge isn't free.