Has anyone here imported a bass into the US?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Jan 22, 2009.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Does anyone here have any experience buying something from overseas and having it shipped through to the US? Do we have to pay import duty/tax on the receiving side? This is for a used bass, not something brand new.

Any help is much appreciated.

Shannon

2. yes you can do it, yes there will be import fees on the receiving side.

3. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Any idea of the amount of the fees? A percentage of the declared value?

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I've bought a bass from Taiwan and a bow from China and didn't have to pay any import duty.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I once bought a used Warwick from a guy in another country for $850, had it shipped in. Got a $75 duty.

6. usually near 10% of total value

7. i bought a Bongo used from USA , no taxes ( like 1200 $ ) but i also bought a drum pad ( 40$ ) new and i had to pay taxes.

8. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    OK, so far we have agreement that there will be some duty, there will be no duty, and that importing to Spain sometimes results in duty/taxes...........

Gonna call UPS or FedEx for info now.

9. mike1762

mike1762

Oct 26, 2008
    There should be NO duty IF the instrument was originally produced in the US. Just remember that many US "brands" are produced elsewhere.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Whomever you ship with should be able to correctly advise you on what the duty on the item will be. Its not complicated

11. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
  12. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    OK, I got the official word from someone at US Customs. I have the 10 digit HTS number for electric fretted musical instruments, and a second number for "product of US being returned not having been modified" which should result in no duty being owed.

HTS number for fretted electric guitar 9207 90 00 40
    HTS number for product of US being returned 9801 00 10 97

Thanks for the help fellas. Hopefully this info can be useful for others.

13. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    I just bought a MIJ Jazz Bass Brand New, shipped here, in like 7 days, no duty taxes for me

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021