1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone here opened up a Highway One Precision?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by terribilino, Jun 1, 2012.

1. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    I'm trying to find out if the Stellartone Tonestyler will fit in my bass. Don, from Stellartone, has been extremely helpful (and honest) about this - he's not sure if it will fit into a Highway One, and has given me advice on how to check myself. He writes:

There is a potential installation issue/problem in the Highway One P-Bass, which we have heard from two guitar techs:
    Please look at the orientation of the side-mounted "football" jackplate, in relation to the location of the original pickguard-mounted tone pot. Unfortunately, and for no apparent reason, these two components may be situated directly adjacent to each other. If so, there may be insufficient clearance between the 1/4" output jack contacts & inserted plug, and the nearby ToneStyler, which sits slightly deeper (about 3/4" total length) than the standard CTS tone pot (about 7/16").
    Clearance MAY BE MADE POSSIBLE, if the 1/4" jack is first loosened and rotated to a position which is further from the ToneStyler; plus, the ToneStyler must likewise be mounted in the best rotation position that locates the device as far from the 1/4" jack contacts and your 1/4" instrument cable plug as possible.
    Note: we at Stellartone HAVE NOT had an opportunity to personally examine a new Highway One P-Bass... so we are unable to verify the extent of the clearance issue, or if it can be easily solved without any alteration to the instrument. The techs who called to discussed the installation issue never replied about their success or failure to install. As such, we cannot guarantee that you will have either an easy or an impossible installation!
    You may test for clearance informally by taping some scrap material, about 3/8" thick, to the back of the tone pot casing, to increase its depth by about 3/8". If the jack plate & instrument plug then work normally, then this test would indicate that the longer ToneStyler will also fit without issues. But, if the jack or plug strikes the scrap material taped to the tone pot's casing, then this means that the attempted ToneStyler installation will cause problems, which may not be able to be resolved satisfactorily. We never recommend any alterations to any instrument.
    Due to the long shipping distances and costs involved, it may not be prudent to order a ToneStyler for this sole instrument choice. If you have alternate suitable instruments, which present no installation mysteries, then you may decide to order and take a chance on testing the Highway One model. So, please take a careful look at your basses, and let me know your opinions?

Unfortunately I don't have enough experience to understand his advice. ('Football' jackplate?!!) Would any of you be able to tell me if the Tonestyler would fit into a Highway One P-Bass? I always thought these basses were the same as the normal P-Basses, just assembled in Mexico, or something like that. It surprises me that this would be an issue.

Thanks!

2. The rotary toggle switch appears to be smaller than a standard 2W pot, and comparable or smaller than a mini pot. With that being said, it is the PCB that is cause for concern. I may be incorrect, but from a quick Google search, it would appear that you can sand back the PCB quite a ways before reaching the traces, so you may be able to modify it to fit better.

As I understand, there are also long-shaft versions of the Tonestyler, which may allow enough clearance that the PCB does not touch the jack. Perhaps there is enough depth in the control cavity for the long-shaft Tonestyler.

3. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
    I've never come across a Highway One P-Bass that has a side-mounted jack.

I'm currently putting together a parts P-Bass using a Highway One body with a Tonestyler. I've got the standard length pot shaft version (B-806 I think) and have no issues. I'm using an AM standard pickguard.

Dan

4. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, me neither.

maybe they're referring to some sort of P/J version, where the three spots on the pickguard are for the three knobs?

6. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
    I don't ever recall seeing a Highway one P/J either (well at least not from the factory)
    Mine will be a P/J though - with a pickguard mounted jack and an extra pot (wired Vol/Vol/Tonestyler)

Anyway, the Tonestyler will fit in a H1 P-Bass

Dan :bassist:

7. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I have a Highway one P and I also have a tonestyler. It's just that the tonestyler is in a Geddy Lee jazz. However I'm following this thread with interest as I would eventually like to add a tonestyler to the P.

BTW, for any that might be wondering- the tonestyler completely transformed the sound of my Geddy Lee. The tech that installed it was super impressed by it as well. I usually do mods myself, but the tonestyler was just a bit beyond my reach. I love the variety of sounds and honestly I've never felt the need to change the pickups in the Geddy due to the great results from the TS.

If money wasn't kinda tight, there'd already be one in my P.

Good luck getting everything to fit. Please keep us posted!

Rock on.