1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone made a Cello into a piccolo URB?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Skips, Mar 2, 2004.

1. The Red Mitchell cello vinyl I mentioned was released in 1961 on Pacific Jazz. It was recorded "live" from a place in Hollywood called "The Renaissance" "Rejoice", a tune written by Red is actually the name of the record with: Jim Hall, Frank Strazzeri on piano, Jimmy Bond on bass, and one of my all time favorite drummers Frank Butler.
    The sound ain't too hot, being the days before bass amps and a noisy crowd to boot...but the sp
    irit is there with some great choruses from Jim and Red.
    If anyone runs into a re-issue of this on CD, please let us know.

2. basslife

basslife

Mar 23, 2004
    vegas
    Always liked Doug's playing. Didn't know he played the cello although I'm not surprised. As you probably know, he was Paul Chamber's cousin. Sam's "Right Down Front" puts a smile on my face! I dig his walkin' solo on "The Old Country" by Art Farmer.

3. Hey Basslife, unless you really don't want any info in your PROFILE, i'd appreciate you at least completing the age info. I like to see if people are being brought into listening to older, kind of not "Star" material like Doug, through hearing about them through TBDB, or like me and a few others who are actually old enough to have heard them back in thier Peak!
    If you really don't want to provide this info....I won't be mad at you. I just find it very interesting. Thanks either way!

4. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003

Actually, I've already got one bass tuned in fifths (CGDA)

5. Is this a double bass?

6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Anyone ever see or hear of a cello fitted with a neck that would accommodate a 34" scale? I'm looking at a beat old instrument with the neck off and no fingerboard that I'd like to try this with. Strung with TI Jazz Flats it would fundamentally be a bass guitar one could bow and play pizz in the more biomechanically efficient manner of an upright.

jeffbonny

7. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Eldee Young, with the Ramsey Lewis Trio, played a wonderful pizz cello on Tennesse Waltz (The In Crowd LP).