1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

has anyone made a new grill cover for their cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcphockey16, Mar 6, 2008.

1. i want to swap the metal bars on my henry the 8x8 for an old ampeg style (silver) grill cloth. has anyone made a new cover, like frame and all, to use?

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    nothin' too it. sticks, staple gun, cloth. just remember to stretch the cloth tight as you go.
    then I used 1/2" wide velcro strips for mounting so no drilling or screws needed.
    hope this helps

3. the only thing with that is the metal really adds another level of safety to your speakers...an errant headstock cant punch through metal, but it could easily go through the cloth and into the speaker.

that said, just take the metal off, measure out and build a frame that fits inside, i would probably build a basic rectangle with cross bracing, then staple gun the cloth on and use velcro to attach it to the cab.

4. ebdogs

ebdogs

Feb 25, 2008
    Dont forget to get that thing tight just a little looseness can cause buzz.

5. thanks for the help guys...what should i make the frame out of? just some cheap wood?

6. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    try a cloth and wrap it around the grill,and use a spray glue,works fine if you take your time, and you can use any cloth

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Just an idea, if you can combine the existing grill with a cloth covering, then you keep the protection of the steel.

8. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I never tried it, but one of hte round auto sub style grilles underneath your new fabric grille could add that touch of protection. Provided it doesnt show through. That would be tacky in the extreme.

9. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    be carefull cutting grill wire its a lot sharper than you think i have 2 scars on my left hand that fully illustrate my ignorance and stupidity fron not wearing gloves on that day:D

10. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    same thing ,less words;)

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You mean I'm supposed to read all the posts before responding? :D

12. that was my first idea but the cloth is pretty thin i'm almost positive you would see it through the cloth and that would look terrible

13. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Also, grillcloth can rattle when it's against metal or wood. Maybe not such a good idea to put it over the metal grill.

14. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    if i had a flight case i would do this aswell, but since feet can go through speakers..il pass until then