Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone paired an Aguilar 1x12 with an Epifani 1x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berklee46, Apr 10, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I've heard that the Aguilar has stronger lower mids, and the Epifani has stronger higher mids, so one of each seems like it would be a killer combination.

Has anyone else tried pairing them up, and how did you like the results?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Owning both the Epifani and Bergantino 1-12 cabs, I'd suggest a Berg as a better match to the Ag as it has even more "present" upper mids than the Epifani.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    A completing question: do they have similar output/input (sensitivity)?

Otherwise, you may have a combination that is very uneven, both in freq response and in overall sound level.

The idea of haveing several cabs with different and completing characteristica is rather intriguing, though....:meh:

4. The test rig at the Lakland factory...

[​IMG]

Great tone would be an understatement :)

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That Aggie 2x12 is a good bit more compact than the Epi. How do the two of them compare in sound? I was considering the Epi T-212D, but was a little put off by the size (although it is still smaller than two 1x12's). That Aggie looks like a nice size, though...

Back to the main thread, I have also considered a mix and match with the GS112 and another, more detailed sounding 1x12. I have not been able to test this theory, but I would think that as long as the sensitivity of both cabs is close, it would work well.

Later, Tom.

6. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Epifani:Sensitivity: 100 db SPL @1W 1M
    Frequency Response: 43hz - 16khz

Aguilar: Sensitivity: 102 dB @ 1W 1M
    Frequency response: 42 Hz to 16 kHz

Is that close enough, or do you think the 2 dB would be a noticeable difference?

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That's a tough call. Personally, before I saw your reply, I was thinking that +/- 1 db would be fine, +/- 3 db would be too much, and +/- 2 db MIGHT work, depending on the voicing of the cabs.

But again, this is just theoretical conjecture on my part. I have not tested this theory in practice as I am sure others here have - whether or not they knew they were testing such a theory at the time or not! ;)

Later, Tom.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That's sensitivity at 1KHz not over the full range.

Don't get hung up on 2 dB in a spec like that. 6 dB, sure I'd be concerned :D

9. tombowlus said...

That Aggie 2x12 is a good bit more compact than the Epi. How do the two of them compare in sound? I was considering the Epi T-212D, but was a little put off by the size (although it is still smaller than two 1x12's). That Aggie looks like a nice size, though...

I'm getting ready to buy a pair of Aguilar 1x12s (waves at Gard). I think the Epi is the better cabinet but IMO it's not $250 better, and neither is the Bergantino HT212.

As someone else mentioned the Aguilar has deeper low mids than the Epi does but the T-212D is a bit more accurate - at least to my ears. I prefer the tone of the Aguilar.

10. berklee46 said...

Epifani:Sensitivity: 100 db SPL @1W 1M
    Frequency Response: 43hz - 16khz

Aguilar: Sensitivity: 102 dB @ 1W 1M
    Frequency response: 42 Hz to 16 kHz

Is that close enough, or do you think the 2 dB would be a noticeable difference?

I don't like running dissimilar cabs on the same amp channel for that reason.

I ran an Eden 210XLT and 115XL in stereo because the 4db difference in volume was very noticeable. Unless the cabs are identical I prefer they have their own volume control.

11. I agree with Alan's :D assessment (it's just too easy, AG!) But, i used 2 cabs together in parallel in the same channel with glorious results. Read on...

as far as the match, the Ag + epi 112s is one of the best combinations Ive ever played! The Bergie was nice, but it almost seemed too "woofy" with the girth of the Ag and the strength of the low mids of the Berg. The Epi is voiced with a singing upper mid character that interlocks very well with the ag's scooped nature.

12. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I'm a bit confused about what you agree with. The way I understand it, Allan had said that he *doesn't* recommend using the Aguilar & Epifani togther because of the 2 dB difference. Yet, you say you had great results with this combination.

I'm not trying to be a nitpicker, just clarification so I can have as much input as possible...

Thanks,
    Scott

13. Nah - I said *I* don't like using dissimilar cabs on the same amp channel. If you can live with the volume discrepancy it should be fine. I didn't mean to imply it was a bad combination.

My advice? Try it - or if you have a stereo amp, try it both ways :)

14. I forgot to add the word "normally" as in "I normally like the cabs on independent channels, but i used 2 cabs together in parallel in the same channel with glorious results."

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

that gentlemen is an awe inspiring combo.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I just auditioned a bunch of cabs last night and ended up picking up an Epi T-112 and an Epi T-110UL (ultralite version). These two are 1 db different (100 for the T-112, and 99 for the T-110UL), and sound phenomenal together. It came down to that combo or an Accugroove Mini Whappo. I'd say that I very slightly preferred the Mini Whappo overall as far as sound/tone goes, but it was very close, and the Epi combo is very portable. That little T-110UL is extremely light, but adds a lot of articulation to the T-112.

Hope this helps, Tom.