Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone played a Benavente Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickr, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    I am in the market for a new bass.
    I will always keep my Sterling but I would also like
    something with better harmonic capabilities and
    better sustain. I have heard that Benavente basses
    rival Foderas. Any thoughts or recommendations?
    Thanks
    Ricky

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    i've played benevente basses and have access to playing a few different models (as well as tons of other basses). let me know what you are looking for or what you'd like it compared to and i'll play some basses for you and let you know what my ears hear. feel free to post on the board or email me privately.

3. Well, I've got 4 Benavente basses (along with a Kinal and a Lakland JO) and a 5th one on order (Vortex 6 string!), and I think (for me) they're awesome! The quality is definitely the same par as Fodera, the tone is subjective so I'll leave that alone.

Chris Benavente uses quality parts, you can select your choice of woods, pickups, etc. and both the Vortex (bolt-on) and the neck-through models offer great sustain. I personally love the neck profile, the balance and playability of his basses! I've not played a bass that felt so comfortable to play either standing or seated! With your choice of woods, pickups and preamp, you can get what you want and it'll sound like you want it to! I like the DiMarzio dual-coils on the Vortex, as well as the Aeros, and the Aeros on the neck-throughs, they really make his basses sing!

Also, the March issue of Bass PLayer will have a review of Chris' singlecut 5 fretted, which is almost identical to mine, except for the pickups... Get yourself a copy when it hits the stands....

I've got some sound clips posted on my website, here are some links for them. They're of my Benavente Singlecut (neck-through) 5 string, fretted. Alder body, burled maple top, Lane Poor J pickups, maple board, Demeter 3-band pre (set flat).

Make sure you download them first, not sure they'll stream:

Benavente Singlecut 5 fretted

Benavente Singlecut 5 fretted again

Singlecut 5, a little post processing, shows off the B string.

Here's a pic of my Benavente family:
    [​IMG]

4. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    You have heard correctly. I currently own 1 Benavente,have previously owned a single cut 5, and have 2 Benavente basses on order (one which will be delivered in the next few weeks). Chris' basses are of the aboslute highest quality and easily rival the work of Fodera IMO. I am a huge fan of Chris' work and strongly recommend checking out his stuff.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Benavente- thumbs up!

6. Slammer

Slammer

Feb 12, 2003
    USA, New York
    :bassist:

I just got a Benavente SC5 and love it. It has th grea neck profile that made the Pregibson Tobias basses great, even though it is alot of wood it is very light and comfortable to play. The tonal range is exceptional, the craftmanship supurb.

I would highly recommend taking a look at one.....I'm debating going back for another.

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    This is one of my keepers.

[​IMG]

8. Slammer

Slammer

Feb 12, 2003
    USA, New York
    :bassist:

Beauty....good luck with it!!!

Here's mine

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

I have to 2nd, that bass smokes!! :D

but then again, so does mine :spit:

[​IMG]

10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Brian,

- At first glance, your Benavente looks like it's something from the 1940's. It also looks ice creamy. I really like it.

- One thing I like about Benavente basses, besides being good basses, is that they're all different. Someday I may get a SC-5 with block inlays. If so, I want the same SC body style as the one I already own--it balances perfectly during seated playing.

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    yea, mine is a cookies & cream buckeye.

I love the single J at the bridge and dual coil at the neck. Gives that tight Jazz sound with major bottom!

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I played a couple at the NAMM show in the SIT booth. You CAN'T go wrong with one!

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Woodchuck

Benavente & Bergantino haven't decided yet if they will have a booth or not for Summer NAMM, I hope so. If we do, would love to have you by again!

Bass player's March issue should be hitting stands and subscriber's doors in the next few days. Check out the Benavente review! :bassist:

14. My singlecut 5 was at the SIT booth at NAMM, you probably played that one!?!?! It's the second one from the left in the pics above....

mark s.
    proud owner of 4 (soon to be 5) Benaventes!

15. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Very good review. I hope this picture of the review is OK to post?

16. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey, I played that bass.

17. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm with you.

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    AWESOME :spit:

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    What bass was used in that review Brian? Was it at NAMM or did BP still have it?

If anyone wants to read more reviews they can look at my Benavente Bass Forum on The Dude Pit.

Disclaimer: I am a Benavente dealer...no sales hype, no pressure...just a dedicated place to ask questions.

Dude Pit Benavente Forum

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Steve, I've got a bunch of pictures up in the "Featured Works" section of Chris' site (as well as the 4 string you've got). I've also put up the text of the review... I'll get a better 'rating' picture up when I pick up my copy @ B&N this weekend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.