1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has Anyone Played a Gibson Les Paul Bass ('93)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dubadays, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    I've had my eye on a Gibson Les Paul Bass for a while, but I've never actually heard one in person before. How does it sound (It's a 1993)?
    *EDIT* Also, how does it feel? (I know it varies from person to person, but I'd just like opinions)

2. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I just reassembled a 98 hot rodded with Lindy Fralin Bassbuckers and chrome. It feels
    incredible. The neck is substantial, but comfortable. The feel is sleek. When I strap it on
    and stand in front of the mirror, the look is undeniable; making even a geek like me look
    absolutely cool. The string response is fantastic. I'm sold. Pics soon.
    Mine is chambered so weight is not an issue.

3. I recently sold a 93. For me, the issue was the neck. I just found it to be a bit awkward to play and never settled with it. They are very heavy basses and they do have some nice tones. I guess they are a bit like Rics in many ways, you either adapt to the feel or you don't. I can see how Les Paul basses work well in rock scenarios though - the mahogany body and ebony board combines really nicely for dark overdriven sounds.

4. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007

Good assesment. Your talking of the flat top LPs or the Carved top Standard?

The flat tops are not as heavy as the early Standards, which were. The later ones with the toggle have chambered bodies. Once you get it set up right and you get used to it its a great bass, much like a Ric in that respect (feels different)

Some youtube links to LP's

LP Standard

They have a very ballsy warm rock tone.

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    When I think Les Paul Bass, I think The Supersuckers.

Great rock tone, and killer live.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Buddy of mine has one. Tone is KILLER!!!! Looks are great. Weighs a TON, it's like strapping on an anvil.

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have one. It's a nineties model without the toggle, EMGs, and a carved top. I love the way it plays, but I am up-in-the-air about the tone of the EMGs. I may explore different p/u options in the future. Any suggestions?

8. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    RS Guitars/Lindy Fralin Bassbuckers........end of story.
    Seriously-they rock extremely hard. Worth every penny.

:D

9. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    The heaviest bass I've ever played is a Thunderbird IV. How does it compare to that? A TON heavier?

10. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    The basses are definitely heavy. My Les Paul is my main bass and the guitarist in my band refers to it as "The Backbreaker". The sound with the stock pickups was pretty sweet, but I put darkstars in it and now it's heavenly - more punch than Mike Tyson.

368_MG_2896.

*I think this is a later model, but still similar

11. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Dont know what brand Tbird IV you played, but most Gibsons are actually very light, thus the extreme neck dive. If they were heavier bodied, they would balance better. My Gibby T-Bird 2008 Model was extremely light and balanced nicely with the strap buttons moved to different points and a wide strap with swivel locks. The Les Paul basses ARE heavy, but they do have a great tone for rock, country, and blues.

12. I probably can't help you on that one. I've never played a Thunderbird. I can confirm that the LP was waaay heavier than my Jazz and Precision basses. To be honest, I've never given up on a bass due to weight. It's a factor but if the bass sounds good and feels right, I'll play it and be happy. I just mention the weight because I noticed it.

My LP was carved top and pretty much identical to the bass with darkstars above but with stock pickups. Looking at that mod, I wish I'd thought of it :D

I will never knock the LP tone. It was cool. The neck just wasn't for me.

13. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    One thing that I noticed is that the neck looks a little short, but I've only seen pictures. The thing is, if I'm going to buy it, I don't think I'd have the chance to play it beforehand, and I wouldn't want it to inhibit my playing. So, does the neck feel short?

14. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    The neck is definitely different. When I first bought it, I also tested out a Gibson Money bass, and the Money's neck is much faster. The LP neck is a bit thicker and more 'sticky'. So it's the sound that won me over at the end of the day, really...the neck takes a bit of getting used to, but at least you can get a good grip on it.

15. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    No, not in the least. I'm pretty sure it's a standard 34", and it doesn't feel short at all - I would've definitely noticed something like that, since short scales are kind of unnerving to me.

16. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Yeah, I tried out a brand new Gibson SG bass just to see what a Gibson bass would be like, and I HATED it. The neck was terrible. I didn't even bother plugging it in to hear how it sounded it was that bad. But the thing is, I don't know if that's a fair way to judge other Gibson basses.

17. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    I guess it just looks short compared too mine. I have an abnormally long neck on my Ibanez Ergodyne, or at least it feels that way

18. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Was it the short scale or something else? I remember playing a friend's Danelectro Longhorn and the short scale just felt really off to me...like Jack Bruce says, "I felt like I was playing a toy!" Short scales obviously work for some people, but they're too awkward for me.

Could be because the fingerboard overlaps onto the body somewhat. Not sure, but it's definitely a normal length neck - has a nice grip to it, too. Maybe your Ibanez is a 35"?

19. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I've had a flat top '96 LP for a number of years now and I love how it plays. This coming from someone raised on Fender. The assessments so far are accurate - the neck is a bit meatier than a Jazz i.e. but is not uncomfortable or restricting. It is a full 34" scale. No problems playing it at all. I love it because the response is very even across the entire neck. Every note plays solid.

I don't find this one particularly heavy vs other basses I have - it's hefty for sure but not a backbreaker.

Mine came with Bart pickups and pre (it's an LPB-2). I liked them, but got curious and dropped in a set of chrome Gibson TB-Plus and pulled the pre. This was back when Gibson made them available outboard for a couple of years. I didn't care for them at all, which is kind of ironic seeing as that's what they have in the later carved tops. I didn't find them as open as the the full sized ones in my TBird, and they're supposed to be the same pickup in a HB shape. This bass (and I) didn't like them.

So the Barts are back with an OBP-3 - much better IMO. LP's are a quality instrument and a great Rock and Roll bass.
    That's the ticket, even with the Barts. No pingy modern hi-fi in these babies.

20. Dub-
    My Gibson LP was a lot older..a '72 LP Triumph. Solid walnut, set neck and it did weigh a ton. Wish I still had it even though I don't play short scale anymore.
    I didn't really start to understand my role as a bassplayer until I got rid of it. I was always trying to play bass guitar instead of electric bass.
    I was too caught up in the 'cool factor' of the LP!