1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anyone played a Jaco Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quotidian, May 10, 2006.

1. quotidian

quotidian

Feb 26, 2006
    Aloha,

Just wondering if anyone has played one; the artist series, not the relic. I'm looking to buy a new Fender Jazz bass and right now it is a toss-up between the Jaco and the MIA Deluxe.

I've haven't played either; they aren't stocked at the music stores on the island where I live. So I'm going to have to order through one of the stores.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

Peace,

Dean

2. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've played the artist series Jaco fretless and I must say it's one of the more impressive fretless basses I've tried. Effortless action, singing tone. I'm not sure if Fender uses the same fingerboard coating (Jaco used boat epoxy) but seemed like it would protect the neck well. I've heard a couple people play the Jaco fretless live and they sounded great. Bass Northwest has a used Jaco fretless for $999 (looks like someone added a pickguard and changed the knobs) http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/fender_jaco_pastorius_fretless_4_st.htm

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

A Jacophile to the rescue! lol The Artist series has a Pau Ferro fingerboard, no boat epoxy there, but it sounds beautiful Winston was completely right when he said the bass "sings". I know it helps to be an amazingly devoted Jaco fan, but it has to be the most beautiful 4 string fretless sound I have ever heard.
    The more expensive relic version does have the correct epoxy on the fingerboard, and it sounds IMHO, exactly like Jaco's sound. If I had to pick between the two I'd go with the less expensive artist series, with the Pau Ferro Fingerboard. It is strikingly similar to Jaco's bass, the fingerboard is gorgeous... and as stated before it sings like no other! :smug:

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Very, very nice bass. Great fretless tone.

BUT

My CIJ Fender '62 Jazz fretless comes pretty darn close, for half the price! I also like the tuners on the CIJ much better. They are the same reverse vintage tuners type used on the MIA, but these are made by Gotoh. They feature a torque adjustment which is a nice feature. The pickup on the CIJ are USA vintage.

See - CIJ Jazz Fretless

5. does anyone here have pictures of the extremly limited fretted jaco signature ?

6. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I played the Jaco signature relic model at GC. Honestly, I wasn't impressed -- especially for the money.

7. If you haven't played either you're in trouble ;) Try before you buy with fender. IMO i'd go with MIA because I don't think the Jaco is worth it.

8. quotidian

quotidian

Feb 26, 2006
    Thanks for all of your opinions and suggestions. It's going to be a tough call, but I think I'm leaning towards the Jaco artist series bass. I'll write back when I get it.

Peace,

Dean