1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone played a MusicMan "Classic Series" Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulknersj, May 10, 2010.

1. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I have recently begun to prefer MusicMan Sterling basses to the Jazz basses I have played for the better part of 2 decades, and I am seriously considering the sale of my beloved Custom Shop Jazz bass in order to aquire a "classic series" Sterling. I would truly appreciate any information regarding these new basses. It would be amazing to hear from players familiar with regular USA Sterling basses (mine is a 2006) that have been able to compare and contrast along side a new "Classic Series". Cheers!!

2. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I didn't know there was a Classic Series Sterling. Thought the Classic Series was limited to Stingrays.
    I gotta get out more often.

3. JimB52

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    2 band EQ, no coil tap switch, string thru bridge, slab body, 6-bolt neck.
    Sounds like the Classic SR with a smaller body.
    Interesting. I'd like to see a pic of the back.

4. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I played one of the classic Stingrays and WOW! I am in love with the finished birdseye maple necks on these classic series MM's. Thing is, that Classic Ray was built like a tank, im guessing in the 10+ lb range, and i prefer the jazz style neck and smaller llighter bodies on the Sterling basses. As a smaller dude (5 8"), the Sterling just feels and plays better thatn anything else i have have ever played. If it sounds like that Ray did ( should be pretty close), it would be the perfect bass for me.

5. JimB52

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I'm guessing it would sound more like a Ray than a Sterling.

6. not gonna lie, i really dont like musicman, but the new classioc series is killer, ive played em all and was very impressed

7. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    were u able to play a Sterling?

8. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    anyone? shop owners...GC employees?

9. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I have yet to see any classic sterlings at any stores (or 5-string 'rays too, only the classic 4 SR so far), but if it is anything like comparing the classic SR to a normal SR, you won't be disappointed. The classics are amazing. I've played classics with both the gloss neck and the normal gunstock oil, and they both sounded and felt great. I typically prefer the oil finish on necks, but somehow musicman got it right with the gloss, because it's one of the most comfortable necks I've played. Here's to hoping they get some of the other classic series into stores soon!

10. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Thanks man! That was exactly my impression as well. I played a classic Ray and just fell in love with that neck!

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    No it won't. The pup is wired in series vs parallel in the SR. It will be more aggressive and in your face than an SR.

12. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I like the necks. I'll buy one and steal the neck for a spare for my sterling.

13. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I am assuming that it would not be to hard to rewire the pickups differently?

14. The sr pus are alcino methinks and sterling uses ceramic pus, or the other way round. Either way it's a bigger difference than just rewiring it in parralel or series.

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    There is this too. But really they sound so close when both are in parallel. As does the single pickup Bongo (and I would assume, the Big AL)

16. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    My Sterling 3 way pick up configurationswitch is as follows - Neck Position = Series, Middle = Single Coil, Bridge = Parallel. i usually favor the Parallel setting. For what this is worth, I just want a classic Sterling that sounds like a standard US Sterling, only a bit more refined. I would buy a Stingray if I wanted a Ray. But Sterlings and Rays do sound a heck of a lot alike IMO. I just much prefer the playability of a Sterling. I really appreciate all the feedback so far! Gracias!

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    And that is what you will get if you get a Classic Sterling. Only it will be permanently set to series because the switch isn't there.

18. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Probably.

Serek_Basses likes this.