1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone played a really new Fodera NYC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Molan, May 8, 2010.

1. Molan

Molan

Dec 13, 2003
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I've read a lot of mixed opinions on the Fodera NYC range in the past but, after seeing some nice looking new 4 string versions, I wondered if anyone had played one of the most recent versions?

I've owned a lot of nice basses in recent years but never managed to even see a Fodera in the flesh - they are pretty rare over here in the UK!

I have to own up that I still don't entirely understand the NYC range and where they are assembled and quality control etc. so a summary of this would be useful too :)

2. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I played a NYC jazz, had it for sale some 9 months ago on basschat.co.uk. it's great bass, definately. not my cup of tea,tho. I am passive-vintage-bass-guitar-man! ( read: Fender ) NYC are very hot, hi-fi PRODUCED sound, with a flawless craftmanship.
    TIP:I got now a Blade B4 jazz bass, also a "boutique" high end bass for sale on BC. :cool:

3. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    They are made in the far east,same as Lakland skyline's etc,if you want this type of bass look at F-Cleff Bass,imo the best modern jazz type bass,or save up and get the "real deal".

4. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    "far east" eh? they are made in Japan. Skylines are made in Korea (and now in Indonesia if I recall well...)
    They are top notch,try it and you'll see!

5. Molan

Molan

Dec 13, 2003
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Thanks guys - that's what I thought.

The thing that confused me was that they say they use the same aged tone woods as the higher end bespoke custom builds?

6. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    If they say so, it's probably true. they are crafted and assembled in Japan very likely with "USA Fodera woods and parts". I guess also they are inspected and checked with Fodera USA team after being assembled.

7. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    Pros:

- Nice vintage fender - esque tone, I actually prefer the tone out of this bass compare to BN5
    - Tight Low B
    - Its a Fodera
    - Sleek and fast neck, very comfortable to play.

Cons:

- I have owned 2 Fodera NYC 5, both of them had scratchy stacked pot (neck pu/tone master). The finish on the NYC is not as good their competitors (sadowsky, lakland, nordy, etc).
    - Looks like Ibanez ATK, especially the model with pick guard (non jazz PG).

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I played a fretless five a little while ago.
    It was alright but not more than that and much too expensive for what it was. IMO
    For a third less or half the price it would have been good!

9. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    You need to get your atlas out!!!!far east covers japan,korea etc!!!as far as the woods etc,well,you know the saying,you pay's your money and you get's your choice!!;)

10. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    haha! My geography is fine,no worries, I just didnt cheerish "far east" term of yours. I know you didn't mean anything wrong tho. Peace!

11. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    :)

12. NYCBass

NYCBass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    I have 5 NYC 4 string Basses dating from the late 90's to now. I don't know where you guys get your information but my newest Bass was painted and assembled in Brooklyn. They may have the bodies made somewhere but my New NYC is as Great as all my others are.

Play one and let your hands and ears decide.

13. Molan

Molan

Dec 13, 2003
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Unfortunately I don't think there's many NYC's over here in the UK :(

I'm now confused again as to where they are actually made, lol.

Maybe the body & neck shaping is done in Japan & then shipped to the USA for final assembley & quality control?

Loving your bass collection by the way :)

I think this might be my favourite :

l_2b48a32c0b845d0d72d64a0c88b17b34.

14. Laklandlover

Laklandlover Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA BABY

Check it out:

http://www.fodera.com/nyc/index.html

James

15. Molan

Molan

Dec 13, 2003
    Oxfordshire, UK
    They don't say anything about where they are built/assembled - unless I'm just getting lost in their site nav?

16. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    I believe that the question of how and where the Fodera NYC's are made has been answered by me before as part of the Fodera Club thread, but it cannot hurt to answer again here...I will do it in bullet points as that makes it easier to read...

1. The design is 100% Fodera. If you ever come and visit the shop, you can ask to have a look at the original renderings that Vinny did of them as well as the initial hand-carved prototypes that he did. The NYC designs, although more Fenderesque than Vinny's other designs, are NOT simply J-Bass Clone bodies bought from a mass production company.

2. The bodies and necks are carved in Japan in a small shop that has 2-3 high-level craftsmen working in it at any given time. This is NOT a mass production parts factory, it is a small artisan shop much like ours in Brooklyn. Japan has a culture of INCREDIBLE quality, attention to detail and precision.

3. The people that originally began doing this work for us were all trained here at the shop in Brooklyn. They still visit us each year and we visit them. Joey and I are headed there again this July.

3. The key woods for the NYCs come from our wood stash in Brooklyn. We send it to Japan and they use it to build.

4. The bodies and necks are spray finished and the frets are installed on the necks in Japan. Please note that the finish is NOT going to be the same as many other basses mentioned in this thread. Our NYC finish is hand-sprayed and hand-rubbed. It is a very thin Urethane Lacquer and was selected because it lets the instruments breathe and sound great. The downside to this is that becasue it is 100% done by hand, there WILL be minor imperfections in the finish, but Vinny and Joey both feel that the improved sound of the instrument is worth this tradeoff.

5. The finished bodies and necks are sent back to Brooklyn, where we put them together, do the final fret work, install the electronics and set them up. EVERY Fodera NYC has been personally worked on by multiple people in our shop in Brooklyn. If you ever feel like it, take the neck off of your NYC and look in the neck pocket -- they are all signed by Joey and Vinny.

In terms of sound...the NYC's are definitely Foderas more than they are Fenders (as we want them to be).

Unfortunately, there really is no substitute for trying one yourself. At the end of the day, these are hand-built, small-batch high-level instruments that have nothing in common with many of the mass-produced "low-end" lines that some manufacturers outsource oversees. Joey and Vinny have been, and continue to be, involved in every aspect of the NYC's. We make less than 200 of them a year!!

I hope this helps...

Regards,

Jason

17. Molan

Molan

Dec 13, 2003
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Jason - that is just perfect, thanks so much for clarifying :)

I really need to track one down to try!

18. I've been looking for a Fodera dealer here in Montréal so's I can try one of these out, just out of curiosity. So far, no candy.

I might be going down to NYC sometime this summer, so maybe I'll try to hunt one down while I'm there.

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

That would be the brand F-Clef not to be confused with the F Bass brand based in Canada.

20. rwider

rwider Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    Just Thumpin,
    Thank you for the NYC clarification..... nice to get the facts. I just bought a used 34" standard 21 fret NYC on TB and played it the last few days. I've been playing 35" scale basses for years (Lakland/Modulus) and wondered how this would measure up. I was impressed by the very light weight (8 lbs), the well made neck (super comfortable and fast) and the Steroidal electronics. This is a great bass with "inspirational tone" ..... you play things you wouldn't play on other basses. Always been curious about Fodera basses and now glad I'm getting a taste.