has anyone played a Reverend Brad Houser 5 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, Apr 15, 2002.

1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am curious if anyone has played the Reverend Brad Houser 5 bass and what are your thoughts on it? I was thinking about a bass with a deep full sound and this one came to mind. Let me know your opinions if you've ever played it. I've never played one and I also have never played a Rumblefish either, but the the swtich variations seem interesting.

2. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Nice looking bass but never played one..35" scale, probably sounds very good.
  3. I know Steve Barr saw one at the NAMM show last year, because he posted a pic here.. not sure if he played it, though. Maybe he'll chime in.
    I would love to check one out, but Reverend pulled their dealer network, so I won't be able to play one unless someone I know gets one..
  4. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I saw Brad Hauser play with Critters Buggin' last year and thought his bass sounded great. I have no idea what rig he was playing through. Great player, though. Another Denton cat!
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i am interested in this bass too, read a lot of threads. but never played or or seen a Reverend in person. Is the Brad Houser so good? is there something you don't like about this bass?
  6. I just bought one, and so did Tim Sarter over at the Dudepit. It's got some Rotosound flats and it has great old school tone with lots of fundamental. It has a lot more tonal options than my Rumblefish 5L, and the ability to blend pickups using the two volume controls is pretty cool. The neck is 1/2" wider at the 12th fret than the Rumblefish 5L but it's very comfortable. The next one I want to get with some flames.
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    so is the neck more P than jazz like?
  8. Hmm...not really, cause it's still pretty thin from front to back. The extra width seems to make more of a difference in the higher registers.

The pickup switching on this one gives more versatility. Each pickup has a volume control and a switch for single/parallel/series, which means that you can have a pretty convincing J tone with both pickups in single coil, and you can turn down the neck pickup volume to have something that's similar to the bridge humbucker tone that we all know and love. There's a lot of variety in between as well, and so far, all of the sounds are very good! This bass is really incredible, with a nice price. I have an MTD, Brubaker, two Lulls, a Dingwall, and other assorted stuff and the Brad Houser matches up with the best of them.
  9. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thanks a lot Funky!! you aid that, you have really high end basses and you know how things go, so your suggestion on the Brad Houser id even more useful. thanks a lot. are you thinking to sell that bass?
  10. Hey Funky,

Nice bass! I thought the Brad Houser 5 signature looked different...but hey, I want one too!! GAASSSS.

11. Haha barroso, I just got it and I am enjoying it. I actually used a Rumblefish 5L on my last few recording jobs--what a great "plug and play" tone. I got the Brad Houser because it's even more versatile and I haven't been disappointed.

One hint is to watch Reverend's "In-Stock/Specials" page:
    That's where I got my Houser at a great discount (about $200 off). They seem to keep it updated pretty frequently so you have to be quick, but there are some great deals to be had.
  12. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thanks for the tips, i have just watched that space, i am forced to wait and i'll accept a second finish one too. there is a rumblefish with high discount!! i say this because i have to add international shippiong cost and italian taxes. italian taxes are 25% of the item price....
  13. I'm strictly a 4-stringer but my main bass is a Rumblefish XL and I can tell you you will not be disappointed with a Reverend. The sounds I can get are amazing but, with the Houser, you have even more versatility! The neck on mine feels like a superbly broken-in Fender neck.
  14. thanks for the review funky - can you tell me about that engine turn finish? i always imagined that it would blind the audience when the lights hit it. :D
  15. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Whats the knob configuration on that beast FC?
  16. The knobs are volume/volume/tone so it operates like a J, except there's switching options for each pickup. A pretty elegant design, and the bass is passive still.
  17. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I would have hardcore gas if there werent such limited color selections. I think a black or even a red would be killer.
  18. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    my main issue is that i prefer 4 string basses. a rumblefish 4 strings with the pickup configuration of the Brad Houser would be great for me.
    and i am still waitin for a reply from Reverend, i wrote them to be informed about shipping prices here in italy.

we'll see....
  19. That would be killer. In fact, I've thought about asking Reverend if they'd do that. Someday down the road, when I have money to spend again..
  20. They seem to be cool with building custom. I got a Rumblefish 5L in purple. They just offered me whatever laminates they had available, even though it wasn't a standard color. It didn't cost extra, and I think the bass only took 3 weeks to build.

Now I need to find a set of flats to fit the thing. I heard that Brad Houser uses Lakland Joe Osborne's on his.

It's a great bass. I've used it a lot in the studio, and as a backup when I play in my disco band. Also, it sounded totally killer when doing Latin music.